Find
Notify
Tools

XS Sight systems backup ghost rings?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted
They have a couple of models of backup ghost rings that go on a weaver mount(behind the scope mount)just in case.

They come in a low or a high Weaver Mount Ghost Ring.

Look perfect for a mauser.

Any idea how to choose which is right for your rifle?

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
I guess no one here has seen these.

Are XS sights a good product in general??

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one but have yet to mount it on a rifle. XS is quality stuff.

Look in a Brownells catalog, there's a formula for sight heights. I guess it would depend on the cartridge and the height of your front sight.

Posts: 1681 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess my earlier post did not work.

I have two. One on a 458x2American and one on a Ruger 416 Rigby I just got. I found the one on my American very fast and an easy pickup on the jump shot but not so good on the stand, aim, fire. I find the williams receiver and lyman tang a better choice for me. If they also allowed for in addition of an aperture insert or apertures of different sizes I would use it more.
Haven't shot the Rigby enough to know yet.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have looked at there web site and i rather liked the look of the site you are refering to. They have a smith on staff who helped me pick a front site for my marlin a while back.
Brockmans has a great little pop up rear site that is available for Model 70s montana's and marlins. NECG has a back up for weaver style bases too. I think its a cool Idea.
In Oregon it can rain so hard scope use becomes unreasonably dificiult , and when its raining that hard , 75 yarsds is about all I am gonna be able to see anyway so the brockmans rig on my marlin is great ! I have my Leupold 1X4 VX2 in Tall QD rings and when I pop off the scope, a little spring loaded ghost ring pops up. It ain't cheap the base set up and the rings came to about 250.00...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Martinez:

If they also allowed for in addition of an aperture insert or apertures of different sizes I would use it more.
Haven't shot the Rigby enough to know yet.
Frank

XS sells their large aperture threaded to take any standard Williams screw in peep. They refer to it as there .218" aperture(I think).

I like the XS w/ this aperture as there is no obstruction and it ghosts out(very fast). You can screw in your peep aperture of choice and use the same sight for very precise distance shooting.

The XS is very simple yet durable. The Brockman ghost/peep sights are excellent as well and are sturdy.

Gary

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
I have one that was modified to fit the grooves on CZ550 receivers and it works great. It is adjustable for windage and elevation, so I can't help you on which height to get.

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gosh I must not have the large one then because neither of mine are threaded.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They should come w/ two, a small one (.150" I think??) and a large one (.230"). They sell a third one called the (.218") that is threaded for screws in peeps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ACRecurve:
I have one that was modified to fit the grooves on CZ550 receivers and it works great. It is adjustable for windage and elevation, so I can't help you on which height to get.

AC, which model XS do you have modified to fit the grooves on a CZ550?

Can you post a pic or email a pic to someone who can?

Thanks,
Gary

one of us
posted Hide Post
I talked to the XS gunsmith at the SHOT show, nice guy! He answered all my questions almost before I asked them. I asked him about getting the right sight height and he said they have a plastic breakway front sight, that you snap off until you find the right height to order.

Posts: 421 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryVA:
quote:

AC, which model XS do you have modified to fit the grooves on a CZ550?

Can you post a pic or email a pic to someone who can?

Thanks,
Gary

I asked Roy Bedeaux in Albuquerque to modify one and I'm not sure which one he used. I'll try to contact him tomorrow and ask which one and will try to get a pic posted...may take me a few days.

Good hunting,

Andy

Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
GaryVA,

I spoke with my rifle builder re: the sight he made....he actually made the base that fits the CZ dovetails and then attached the ghost ring...said he had one lying around and used it. So I was mistaken about him just modifying one. I'll try to get a pic up early next week. This week is shot as far as extra time goes.

Good hunting,

Andy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
GaryVA,

I spoke with my rifle builder re: the sight he made....he actually made the base that fits the CZ dovetails and then attached the ghost ring...said he had one lying around and used it. So I was mistaken about him just modifying one. I'll try to get a pic up early next week. This week is shot as far as extra time goes.

Thanks AC, I'll look for the pic.

Gary