THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    what is the optimal fireing pin protrusion for a standard cartridge

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what is the optimal fireing pin protrusion for a standard cartridge
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted
30-06 and 308 family of cartridges

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I measured some for you:
Springfield 03A3: .054
VZ24 .052
Pre war 98 .054
98k 1944 .056
1917 Enfield .054

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
0.055" is what I have seen recommended regardless of cartridge and interestingly, the action in question. I set them to 0.050"-0.055" if I find one that is off or needs some work.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks you guys

I thought it was in the mid 50's

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
.055 inch for most guns. Brownings are often .045 inch for whatever their top secret reason may be.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker30x378:
.055 inch for most guns. Brownings are often .045 inch for whatever their top secret reason may be.

Savage says .035".

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Out of interest would that be the same protrusion for shotguns?

Posts: 210 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 16 September 2010Reply With Quote