New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser ID help and info
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have several photos of a Mauser that belongs to my cousin. He would like info on it. Can I email photos for somebody to post?
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch

Why don't you just get a free account with Photobucket so you don't have to go with this emailing thing anymore. You post on here enough that you might just as well get the photobucket account.

And then, all you have to do is copy the URL of the photo from photobucket onto the IMAGE URL box here and away you go.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Butch you can email them to me. Check your PM

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
For Butch

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BYF is the Mauser factory
43 is 1943
Nice thing is that it looks like all the numbers match and Bubba hasn't gotten ahold of it yet.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking war relic!

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tailgunner:
BYF is the Mauser factory
43 is 1943
Nice thing is that it looks like all the numbers match and Bubba hasn't gotten ahold of it yet.

BYF is Mauser-Werke, A-G Oberndorf a/N

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I assume that it is a carbine as it is shorter than my Persian. The red in the stock isn't nearly like that in person. The red rusty color on the extractor appears to be a stain, it isn't rust.
I don't believe he has any interest in altering it.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
It looks like a very clean K98.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a really nice all original K98. It is probably worth more in that condition than anything he could build from the action, so it is good for him that he is keeping it.

I assume the sling is a repro from the look of the buckle, but if it is original, that is even better. Any story to it? The story is usually the best part of these old rifles, sadly lost when it leaves the first (err, second) owner's hands.

Todd

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
byf ia a common 1943 code. Mauser produced over 1.2 million that year. Very nice that it is all marching & unaltered. The sling may well be original. I would need to see the buckle top & bottom. If he wants to sell it let me know. K98Ks are what I collect.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8347 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Jawohl. Not even the Nazis could screw up Herr Mauser's finest. At least not before 1943.

Eclipsed though it was as an implement of war by the M1 Garand, you have a fine looking, matching numbered, Mauser made, WWII-issue '98 Mauser in battle dress uniform.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13508 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only history that I know is the elderly man that gave them to my cousin also had a nicer 1903 A1 and a Jap rifle that is very nice that he gave him also. The old man has passed away. Thanks for the comments. I will need to look at the other rifles when I have the opportunity.
Butch