New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re-chamber Re-rifle 270-9.3x62
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My friend has a heavy contour barrel 270 Mauser that he wants to rechamber and re-rifle to 9.3x62. I have had similar work done by Randy Selby who does fantastic work but he doesn’t have a 9.3 x62 reamer. Does anyone have a recommendation for another gunsmith who can do this work at a fair price?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JES reboring at www.35caliber.com

NRA Life Member

Posts: 422 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 25 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
THANKS!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reamers are available for rent. I'm surprised that hasn't emerged as an option.

It's amazing to me that someone with the capability of cutting a 9.3 mm bore would not have a reamer for the most popular 9.3mm caliber.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless there is some irrational attachment to the original barrel, I would ask DPCD if he would be interested in rebarreling it with a new Douglas barrel. I would only consider a rebore if the barrel is unique in some way, like an octagon etc.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One reason to rebore is that it costs only about $250. Try buying a new barrel and have a gunsmith fit it for that price.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2169 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
New barrel is $285. Plus fitting. Not that much more for a much better end result.
But, you end up with a known high quality barrel, and your 270 muzzle diameter will be very small for a 9.3 and make a very light barrel. I read bad things here on AR about reboring which is why I never have it done.
Oh I see you have a heavy 270 barrel.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
I'll throw in my 2 cents on the Dougie barrels. A friend and I have used dpcd for his work and it is first rate. The price is practically a giveaway while the quality of the barrel is unassailable. They will shoot better than most anyone here is capable of shooting. I would take a new barrel over a rebore any day.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My buddy just sent it to JES. He wanted to keep the original barrel with open sights.

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I hope he has better luck than this AR member.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...043/m/9011013622/p/1

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2326 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think the 9.3 chamber will clean up, as it's a shorter ctg than the 270. Compare the shoulder dimensions/datum very carefully or you will end up with a very strange 2 step shoulder.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
But Russ as a rebore don't you think it will remove the entire chamber when it's cut anyway?

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No, the 270 chamber is bigger than bore diameter everywhere but the neck. Bore diameter of a 9.3 is .358, or so.
Double shoulder; it will promote positive waterfall effect, gas flow from the case to the bore, thereby increasing velocity. And make an interesting looking cartridge.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You may want to consider the 35 Whelen or the 375 Scovill. 338-06 not a bad ctg either. These are all based on the 30-06 case and will clean up.

And back to the issue of how to measure the slug from a 3 or 5 groove barrel ... you need a set of ring gauges. Or you need to make one that will just fit the slugged bullet and then measure the dia of the hole.

I have one of JES barrels here, for 38-55, on a Marlin 336. I rechambered for 375 JDJ and I use Barnes .377 bullets per JES advice. Shoots just fine.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A rebarrel job is usually about $400 where I shot and a rebore is $250, sounds like there is a big difference. I use Hill Country reboring and re-rifleing..They all shoot about 1/2 to 3/4 inch groups so far.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote