New
Find
Notify
Tools

Win 70 firing pin identification
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I got a Winchester model 70, long action firing pin from a friend. It is brand new and unfit. It is the same dimension as a pre 64, including the safety cam surface, but it has the post 64 style firing pin retainer groove. Is this a very late pre 64 part or is this from a "Classic"?

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1602 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
If memory serves the post 64 and classic both have the C ring retainer for the mainspring. The pre-64 has the locking collar for the mainspring.

A photo says a thousand words.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This has the groove for the "C" ring and washer but has the large striker very similar to a pre 64.

I have never had a Classic apart, but most post 64 pins had smaller stikers; some had tabs for cocking indicators, grooves on the top striker surface for a cocking indicator and of course the ones for the pinned on cap.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1602 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The firing pin tip is smaller on the pre-64. A post-64 tip won't fit in the hole in a pre-64 bolt. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3577 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What is the length of the pin, 9/32" dia and the small tip from the face of the cocking piece ( dry fire stop ) to the very tip of the small section.

That will tell if you have a
pre 64
post 64 long
post 64 medium
post 64 short

Jim Wisner

Posts: 1452 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote