New
Find
Notify
Tools

barrel channels
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I received my barreled action from PacNor. This is a Win. Model 70 CRF .338-06 #3 contour 22"bbl. chrom-fitted,headspcd,lapped & trued. Knowing my featherweight stock now does not allow for a good fit I'm in the market for a light but solidly built stock. How do I know that stock makers build their channels for in this case a barrel chamber o.d. of 1.2"? This is new country for me. I thought of a semi-inletted stock, laminated and synthetic. Cost is relevant. One mentioned that the Boyds are overated and quite abit of work is involved to clean them and bed. McMillan is a probablity but I noticed on their website that they "stock" what they advertise. Are most stock makers building them with allowable room for fitting? Any recommendations?
regards,

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rick 0311, that about sums it up-mahsii"

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am gonna attempt something new here as I was challenged to do this myself-can't be difficult. requiring and acquiring the right tools. The little schnabel stock is narrow so I suspect to attempt the fit-can't hurt. what do you generally use?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grizz007:
I am gonna attempt something new here as I was challenged to do this myself-can't be difficult. requiring and acquiring the right tools. The little schnabel stock is narrow so I suspect to attempt the fit-can't hurt. what do you generally use?

I’m a bit slow this morning...I don’t understand your question.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just wondering what exactly is used for barrel channeling. sometimes my ideas are ahead of what I am punching in.I see there is alot of fine chisels, gouges,files and various barrrel bedding tools from 1" down to 1/2" and scrapers. I can see myself doing this and it is just wood but a good stock nonetheless. Can't say I am really intimidated but curious. So my existing stock (featherweight) is that a can do for PacNors #3 contour? I understand you can have as little as 1/8th" of wood on each side to fit the contour of the barrel or so. did I answer this correctly?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might want to take a look at some of the posts on the thread “How does one?†on this page. Same basic question you are asking, with lots of posts that will probably answer your questions.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wanted to post this link to provide...motivation(?) or hope to those tinkering with the idea of tinkering. Big Grin

It is somewhat related to my current inquiry(s) about stock work. The forend tip...sorta blows me away, if only for the effort the fella put into it, and quality as well. It is the kind of thing I visualize as a 'warm up', before one is completely overtaken by the stock building bug... rotflmo ...only because it would not occur to me to restock a 77/50 with that much...effort and attention to detail.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/C.../0/fpart/1/vc/1/nt/2

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
These tools are intended for channels
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/catsearch.aspx?c=1470&p=3961

I would consider getting both sizes of the Jerry Fisher scrapers and using those. It will be slower but you'll also be less likey to make mistakes.
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.as...=6521&title=SCRAPERS

Get some inletting black also. A little goes a long ways.
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/productdetail.aspx?p=7599

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used the old school method-just was a bit more curious to wait for tools. I have various knives an one being a very nice sturdy Japanese steel-chisel like edge. I generally use a jig to sharpen all my knives so these are superbly sharp. I stenciled in the contour of new barrel over the nice little stock and began shaving. worked great! Got it to fit the channel quite well I'd say. Like dempsey mentioned is to get some "black" or prussian blue and see what I left behind. Good ole sandpaper is great to have on hand. I suppose I was initially intimidated by the lack of doing any work-generally pay someone to do that. Yes the "knive" is a old school and I do need to get a few general use of tools for something down the road. This should be a enjoyable project.

regards,