New
Find
Notify
Tools

stock making tools ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking for an intermediate file for working down wood stocks. I have the two cabinet files from brownells #49 - #50 but wanted something not quite as aggressive. Is there such a thing Confused

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1511 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Just the good old Bastard Files. You can get them about any size and shape you want.

Don't know if this is true but thought it was funny:
It started when there was an emigration of workers from Italy to England during
times of unrest. Or an Englishman went to Italy to apprentice. Anyhow the Italian
said to the Englishman in dismay "Dis is da besta file you got?" It sounded like
"bastard" so the name stuck.

I really think it is called a "bastard" because it is really a cross breed. Not really a Rasp nor a mill file.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the "Magicut" files. Brownells carries them, but calls them "No-Clog" files. They are on p. 252 of Catalog 58. They leave a very smooth surface, unlike the cabinet rasps. They are my most-used tools for outside shaping.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glen-

I believe these are correctly referred to as "Vixen" files. They're also known as "curved tooth" files (if memory serves).

I've never heard "Magicut," but my ignorance is encyclopaedic.

I have one monster that I refer to as The Mother of All Files.

They're really great, as they can remove wood slowly, with a finish smooth enough to challenge sandpaper, or quickly.

Most recently, I've been looking for a half round Vixen.

I'm financially impaired, so--mainly--I look for files at the wholesale industrial houses, such as McMaster-Carr, or Travers, rather than gunsmithing specialty shops.

Brownell's--and I love 'em--rarely uses the generic names that will help you find the same product from a cheaper supplier.

flaco

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
I use "Vixen" files. They have long teeth that curve backwards. They can either hog the wood off in a hurry or with light pressure shave wood off very slowly and leave an extremely smooth surface.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Okay, I stand corrected. "Vixen" is what they are called. I would swear Brownell's called 'em Magicut, but I bought mine 10 or 12 years ago. The file still works great - can't say so much for my memory! Razzer

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information, I was looking at that file from Brownell but was not sure. I used to use a similar file for body work filing lead down.
guess I will get one before the next stock arrives thumb

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1511 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out Auriou hand cut rasps:

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/Merchant/merchant.mv...op&Category_Code=TAU

Woodcraft has also started carrying them.

They are available in different "grain" sizes the higher the number the finer the grain. They are really sweet tools though my buddy who's been playing with mine said that the mid-grain tools aren't that much different from the Nicholson's etc.
Worth a look though................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glen, I may have used the Magic cut term over he years and misled you. There is a Magiccut file made by Nicholson and it has aggressive straight teeth and there are some interruptions in the teeth to help clear them out. The vixen has curved teeth. Both do a great job and leave an almost plane smooth finish.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chic - there was indeed a thread a few months back that discussed stockmaking files. Magicut files were mentioned as well as Vixen files. I think I had them confused WAY before then! Big Grin