Find
Notify
Tools

Where can I get a side mount?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted
I'm looking for a sidemount for a model 1891 Mauser action. It's a sporter with a full length stock in 7.65 Argentine. I saw a photo of one with, I think, a Griffen and Howe side mount for the scope that looked very elegant. I just thought I'd use a sidemount to make it look more period. Anyone know who makes them these days?
Thanks,

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Griffin & Howe still makes them. Details are on their website. The Jaeger is also still available, from NECG.

Use ones sometimes are available on the usual auction sites.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Buliwyf>
posted
I have a Griffin & Howe side mount on an old 338 Win Mag Safari Grade. The side mount adds an interesting look to the rifle that I enjoy. However, none of my shooting pals share my appreciation for its looks. My mount was installed by Griffin & Howe, which, I believe uses a sweating and pinning process different from non-G&H installation. This would be worth checking into. The mount is rock solid. You will want to determine what scope you want to use so the height of the side mount can be established.

G&H website is www.griffinhowe.com

Buliwyf

one of us
posted Hide Post
I happen to have a nice used one...I'll let you have it for $150.00

Posts: 41985 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You didn't say anything about the value of the rifle you were wanting to scope. If you are looking for an inexpensive side mount, Weaver makes one that is a fraction of the cost of the upscale ones mentioned.

To my knowledge, all of these mentioned are side mounts with offset rings which place the scope over the bore. If what you want are the really old style mounts with the scope offcenter to the side of the action, I don't know of a source. I saw a few of these on old rifles when I was a kid, but I haven't seen one in years. I always thought that might be a nice setup on a Martini single shot.

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If a rifle is not made to take a scope I suggest you go with the flow and use it as it was made to be shot. There are many other rifles today to shoot with scopes and that old gun was not one of them. It's just that it will no longer be authentic, it's not worth investing a lot of time in anyway and in the end the results will not be all that perfect. Just read some of the threads here on side mounts.

If the rifle has iron sights just shoot it that way. With some care they will shoot just as good and considering the pitfalls of side mounts maybe better.

If the rifle has a elevator sight just in front of the receiver and you have trouble focusing on the notch, front sight and target at the same time try some a pair of "Transition" eyeglasses which are a multi focus "bifocal". If that's not a application for you make a peep sight out of that elevator notch rear sight. I have seen aftermarket peeps that fit in there and one club memeber screwed on a piece of flat stock onto his with a hole in it. I have looked thru both of these sights and I think they are a very good idea.

Good luck in any case.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote