New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shortening a bbl
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm thinking about cutting off a brake and shortening a barrel. If the barrel is 24" to the start of the brake, how much barrel will I lose, and what should I expect to pay for the cut & crowning??

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
You're just cutting off the brake correct? You'll loose that plus whatever it takes to clean up the cut. Several thousandths maybe.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
If it's a common, aftermarket brake, probably .600 of an inch. If it's one of the BOSS systems I think about 1.4 inches, if memory serves. I charge $130 CAD to cut and crown which is about $100 USD. Some guys charge more. Some less.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Correct, cutting a Boss off a m70.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I charge $130 CAD to cut and crown which is about $100 USD. Some guys charge more. Some less.

You guys are taking it in the shorts on the exchange rate, aren't you? My wife just bought a pickup in Ontario for $25,000 (exchanged)that she couldn't have touched here in the US for less than 29-30,ooo USD

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Setch,
you know that you have the option of just adding a false crown that screws on..I have a notch in mine that work with a 25 cent piece..Looks like a crown, but you still have the nice option of taking it off and using the brake to sight in, develop loads etc..handy!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41986 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by setch:

Like Atkinson says. I have made threaded sleeves that cover the threads on the BOSS for about $130. Talk to your local gun plumber. That way if you ever sell the gun, it's unadulterated and still has the option of the BOSS.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
quote:
I charge $130 CAD to cut and crown which is about $100 USD. Some guys charge more. Some less.

You guys are taking it in the shorts on the exchange rate, aren't you? My wife just bought a pickup in Ontario for $25,000 (exchanged)that she couldn't have touched here in the US for less than 29-30,ooo USD

Yeah. At the current rate of exchange it's cheaper for you guys to buy Canadian money than it is toilet paper. If only it had Justin Trudeaus picture on it . . . . . . . . .

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Setch,
you know that you have the option of just adding a false crown that screws on..I have a notch in mine that work with a 25 cent piece..Looks like a crown, but you still have the nice option of taking it off and using the brake to sight in, develop loads etc..handy!

Ah, no...I didn't know that.

quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker30x378:
quote:
Originally posted by setch:

Like Atkinson says. I have made threaded sleeves that cover the threads on the BOSS for about $130. Talk to your local gun plumber. That way if you ever sell the gun, it's unadulterated and still has the option of the BOSS.

If I follow you both, am I to understand that the BOSS itself can be removed by unscrewing it from the end of the barrel? And then as Speerchucker30x378 says, I can preserve the threads to re-attach the BOSS later and have a false crown screw into the threads and be all good? I have not seen a BOSS first hand in a long time and I certainly wasn't contemplating removing it back when I saw it!