New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre-64 Win to .375 H&H
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have a Pre-64 Winchester, originally a .338 Win Mag. What action/mag box work, if any, is necessary to make it work right with the .375 H&H? Thanks.

Posts: 179 | Location: South of Anchorage | Registered: 21 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a friend that is converting a standard pre-64 action to .300 H & H - compared it to my Winchester factory .300 H & H and magazine box is made of thinner metal and extended forward to accomodate the length of the H & H cartridge, a significant amount of metal behind the bottom lug is removed to alow for the length of the longer cartridge and the front of the rear receiver bridge is relieved th allow easier loading (On pre-64 Winchester Model 70's for the .300 and .375 H & H cartridges you will need a different rear scope base as the mounting holes are closer together than on the standard action.) Cannot give the amount as do not have a standard action available at the moment to measure the differences. Did not compare followers but the bolt stop did not appear to be altered.

Bill

Posts: 46 | Location: SE British Columbia | Registered: 21 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a spare Mag box for the 375; it would help you machine out the bottom of the receiver to the correct dimensions.

To do the complete job correctly takes a bit of work, loading port mods, bolt stop, not to mention the stock work.

Someone may be interested in your magnum action and may swap a 375 length for it.

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got an H&H length action that I might be interested in trading for a standard magnum.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's the kind of stuff I needed to hear, thank you. Instead of messing-up the action I think I'll just buy a new rifle or re-barrel the Sako! Thanks to everyone.

Posts: 179 | Location: South of Anchorage | Registered: 21 January 2012Reply With Quote