THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    300 RUM to 338 Edge. Feasible modification on a 700?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 RUM to 338 Edge. Feasible modification on a 700?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What kind of mods need to be done to rework a 700 to be able to use the "full-length" Ultra Mag case in 338? The 338 RUM is quite a bit shorter than the 300.

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you already have the 300RUM, it's as easy as a rebarrel although you may want to add a Wyatt's box to increase length a tad to seat those looong 338 bullets.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1182 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ran a reamer into a remington 338RUM barrel to use the longer 300RUM brass:

http://www.snipershide.com/for...wflat&Number=2933597

Pretty straight forward, you just need the reamer. Oh, and if you want to fit the longer cases with long pointy bullets in the magazine there will need to be some mods there too.

One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
I ran a 338 Canadian Mag reamer into a Hart barrel with muzzle break on a 700 Rem 338 RUM. Sweet shooter. No magazine issues.

Also ran a 300 RUM reamer into a 700 Rem. 300 Win Mag. Had to open the width of the feed ramp and change follower and mag box. Works and feeds fine.

coffee

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.
NRA Life Member, December 2009

Politicians should wear Nascar Driver's jump suites so we can tell who their corporate sponsers are!

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Never had the need to convert the 338 RUM to the EDGE, but having built a fair number of each, there is very little down range performance difference between the two. The benefit of the RUM is readily available ammo if something happens to your handloads. That said, they both use the 300 RUM mag box, so as far as I can tell, all that is needed to convert from one to the other is to run the reamer.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Per my data the net difference between the Edge and RUM loaded to the same OAL is .6grs of capacity.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With the same bullet and the same cartridge length the difference is more like 3 grains. If you also increase the cartridge length by 0.09" (which is about the difference in case lengths), then it's closer to 6 grains. It depends a bit on the density of the powder being used, but even so it's not a huge difference. The 300RUM brass seems to be much more available so would be a reason that the "wildcat" is preferred by hand loaders.