THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1903 Springfield project low number what to do?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
I can never remember the range of numbers for Springfields to avoid.
I've seen one for sale pretty cheap but it is in the 316,000 number range. What were the numbers to avoid?
It will be for a 35 Whelen project most likely.
Thanks to all.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Acccording to "Hatcher's Notebook", the heat-treat was changed at the Springfield Armory at serial number 800,000; at the Rock Island Arsenal it was changed at serial number 285,507.

Posts: 421 | Location: Broomfield, CO, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Snell:

I saved this a while ago. Can't remember where.

316,000 range is 1907:

Springfield:
Improved heat treatment at SN-800,000
Nickel steel at SN-1,275,767.

Rock Island:
Improved heat treatment at SN-285,507.
Nickel steel at SN-319,921.

Posts: 6492 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
here is a link to info on the Springfields and heat treat problems:

Springfield link

I have a low number rifle and am going to build something on it one day. But I never hot rod my handloads either. Pretty much stick to the books with loadings.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the interesting reading link Marc.
Thanks to all.
Sounds that if a person were to use modern ammunition and not exceed common pressures that the risk diminishes to a point of almost nil.
What is your take on that?

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
Snellstrom: Sounds that if a person were to use modern ammunition and not exceed common pressures that the risk diminishes to a point of almost nil.

That's my take. I have a 400K area Springfield I routinely shoot with loads cut back about 10%.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote