Find
Notify
Tools

bondo in a synthetic stock?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted
I have a Savage 308 Win with the hollow synthetic stock and am wanting to add some weight to the stock. I'm considering filling the butt and the barrel channel with Bondo. Is there a chance the Bondo will harm the sythetic stock in some way? Other suggestions? This rifle is my Jeep gun and I don't wanna spend a lot of $$ on it. Thanks.

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
depending on the stocks material there is a good chance the bondo might not stick.

I have not used bondo on a synthetic but often when using epoxy on synthetics you have to cut holes groves etc to allow the epoxy to form a mechanical bond.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Bondo cracks rather easily. To add weight you can mix either lead shot or BB's with epoxy to get something that is both stronger and heavier.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did this in the barrel channel as bedding, and it was not very successful (read failure). It "stuck" but it was not a "good" thing. I did epoxy some metal strips into the magazine well, and they "stuck", therefore, you could epoxy lead shot which I think might be the better way.

I epoxied metal strips into the hollow butt which added to the rigidity of the stock with the strips in the well. In the butt, if you used BB's instead of lead, you might be able to pour more into the grip area of the stock and reinforce it without adding too much weight. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
+1 on the epoxy and lead shot.

Just be prepared to deal with a substance that pours like a very heavy thick liquid and plan accordingly. (and to be amused by the single bb's that get loose and go off on their own leaving a snail trail of epoxy)

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick R:
+1 on the epoxy and lead shot.

Just be prepared to deal with a substance that pours like a very heavy thick liquid and plan accordingly. (and to be amused by the single bb's that get loose and go off on their own leaving a snail trail of epoxy)

Yeah, and don't be surprised to findone or a few stuck to the shop floor the next morning. Little buggers get everywhere.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote