New
Find
Notify
Tools

What makes an action "strong"?
 Login/Join

<monyhunter>
posted
I have a P17, and many people say that this action is very strong and good for large calibers. What is it about an action that makes it so strong? Why is the P17 stronger than say my Tikka?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I belive that the 17s were made from very good steel and Think the the reciver ring is bigger in dia. them most giving you round for the bigger rds.

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<ezell>
posted
It's all in the design plus nickle steel.

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Don't confuse the ability of an action to hold a large cartridge such as a 505 Gibbs with it's being Strong( or able to handle very high pressures). Action Strength is a result of design, proper metalurgy and proper heat treating and tempering. A square used the 1917 Enfield actions for their Big Bores up to the 577 T-Rex because they were cheap, available and at least in the Winchester varient reasonably sturdy. There is alot of controversy about the strength of Nickle Steel and many stories circulated about some of these actions suddenly failing. Personally, I like the 1917 Enfield, and have never had a problem with one ( or seen a problem one either) but it's a real bear to work on. Gunsmithing costs for conversions are pretty high.-Rob

[ 07-26-2002, 04:53: Message edited by: Robgunbuilder ]

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Monyhunter,
I had posted a related post on this forum some time ago and J Belk sent me some brilliant files by e-mail on precisely your type of question. If he hasn't sent them to you already, I could send them to you if you want them. Do let me know.
Good shooting.

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote