New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carbon fiber cleaning rods
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone use carbon fiber one piece cleaning rods, how do you like them, are they safe for the bore? I'm curious as I am in the market to upgrade my bent up junk for cleaning equip. I've looked at Dewey rods, but was curious about these carbon rods as they won't bend, and no coating to peel off.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend who makes barrels uses them exclusively for all his lapping. He does more to a rod with all that lapping than we would in our lifetime cleaning guns. He has had to re-epoxy the fitting back on the end, but that's nothing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The people over on 6mmbr.com are enthusiastic about them - I have not used them myself, I use Deweys and Bore Techs. But they sound like a good (and cheap) alternative:

6mmBR.com Tool Reviews - scroll down a bit on this page.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I use one I bought at Midway and made by Tipton. The rod is very smooth operating, has no coating to wear off, and won`t hurt your bore. There is a bit more flex to mine then a steel (might be just me) but the rod won`t bend and hold a set like a steel rod would. I`m planning on replacing my other rods with them in the future.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got one and love it. You won't regret it.

Posts: 132 | Location: Utah | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Tipton that I've been using for a while, the jury's still out on it. I like it and think it would be really difficult to hurt a bore with one. It makes the funniest whistle when you run a patch through the bore, something to do with the harmonics of carbon fiber. I really think a stainless rod, which I use a lot is just as good. I wouldn't use any rod without a rod guide, so I don't know how critical it is to have carbon fiber, especially if you're careful.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like Dewey rods and use them exclusively. I wonder if the carbon fiber cleaning rods are abrasive at all? Fiberglass certainly is and I am not so sure carbon fiber is much removed.

Posts: 129 | Location: Kennerdell,PA | Registered: 04 November 2003Reply With Quote