New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jim Lewis
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Jim Lewis, Of Butte Mt,a most talented rifle maker died tuesday night, after a battle with cancer.
Jim was a craftsman from the old school, and a 1st class gunsmith.

Hang on TITE !!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP Jim, you will be missed!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I visited his shop a couple times, saw his work and talked with him . Indeed, a great craftsman and a good guy.

Posts: 237 | Location: Montana | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this news about Jim. I had heard he was not doing the best in his battle but didn't realize he was quite that bad.

I knew him and his Wife well when they lived in North Idaho. I have spent many, many hours talking over various subjects with him, and sometimes the discussions got rather heated. Wink

There are several rifles in the safe that bear his J.T.L. stamp on them and as others have said, he was a craftsman of the highest order. He was a first class machinest who was a fanatic for tolerances. I learned a lot as to what constitutes good work and not so good when it comes to gunsmithing watching him in his shop.

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Idared, was he "the gunsmith" in St Maries Id. ?

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
quote:
Idared, was he "the gunsmith" in St Maries Id. ?

No, he had a shop, Jim's Custom Gun Works, on Government Way in Coeur d' Alene. He moved up there from Riverton, WY. He had a good business there but it wasn't Wyoming and he was never real happy there. I think he probably moved to Butte because he did work for Bob Munden (www.bobmunden.com) at the time and thought it was a better place than CDA to live.

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote