New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope base with rear aperture sight
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In the 1960's Redfield used to market a (standard) rear scope base that had a small pop-up aperture sight attached to it.

The sight lay folded along the top of the rifle reciever, and then traveled 90 degrees to the upright position when needed.

I used to see these at gunshows everynow and then, but haven't stumbled across one in years.

Does anyone know of a gunsmith who makes something similar?

I already have the Talley rear aperture...it's okay.

The beauty of the Redfield design was that it was always attached and ready to go.

Thanks,

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Brownell's has one in their catalog that is spring loaded and pops up when you pull the scope off.

Jim Brockman makes one for the Talley bases

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually, if you have metal working machinery you can make something like this pretty easily. I built a 416 Taylor and used Leupold bases. For the backup sights, I milled a groove across the rear of the rear base and used a Williams rear adjustable peep slide as the rear site. Two screws drilled and tapped into the base hold it and allow for lateral adjustment. It stays in place right behind the rear ring. The front sight was chosen to give the proper elevation for 50 yds. You could also drill and tap the rear base for a ghost ring, I suspect. Any steel base with enough space should be amenable to this.

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is how I did it.
Cut right into the qr bases. Remove the lever first and only go down as far as the torx screw head.

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been collecting these for a while. I buy the whole base and remove the peep and then sell the base on ebay Big Grin The nice part is that you can put them on just about any base my next ones will be on Leupold QRs

Posts: 496 | Location: ME | Registered: 08 May 2003Reply With Quote