New
Find
Notify
Tools

1917 Enfield threading tool help
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Need drawing or dimensions so that I can grind a thread tool for a future barrelling job.
Thanks Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Roy Dunlap (Gunsmithing) has the dimensions of about anything you'll likely encounter

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe this will help - barrel dia. 1.325 - thread outside dia. 1.125 - thread depth (inside dia.) 1.085 - 10 square TPI - P17, 30, 30s, 720 Rem. thread lenght .800 - P14 thread lenght .720. - all dems. out of F. de Hass book. --- John303.

One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
Kennametal makes a Top Notch threading tool that accepts a grooving insert. If I remember correctly all you have to do is grind .010 off the side and its perfect. I tried to get on their website to post a link but cant acess it. I will try again later.
I realize that grinding one would be cheaper but there is a lot to be said for indexable carbide. And you can cut any thread you want with this system.

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

Double rifles make Africa safe enough for bolt guns!

Posts: 495 | Location: Gillette,Wyoming | Registered: 16 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Butch
Square threads are the easiest to calculate and the worst to cut.

being that the action is 10 tpi you will need a tool .050" wide at the tip with about 5 degrees of side relief per side. you will also need to grind clearance for the helix angle of about 2 degree.

Take smaller cuts then you normally would and use gobbs of oil. Great thing is there is no "pitch diameter" to account for just cut to depth plus about .002"-.005" bottom clearance. and call it good.

The bad thing is if you cut the thread to wide or to narrow you're done. To narrow of a groove and to wide a flight caused by to narrow a tool and it will not thread in to the action. to narrow a flight and to wide a groove caused by to wide a tool and the thread is sloppy.
You should shoot for a groove .001 wider and a flight .001" narrow for clearance.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
kcstott

If you use a .100 wide tool you will end up with no threads but a straight shaft. I think a .050 wide tool will cut 10 threads per inch. At least is did back in my machinists days. The only square threads I have cut were only 1 (one) per inch on a 6" diameter screw.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've cut many a square-threaded barrel tenon, to pitches of 8, 10 and 12 tpi for early Ballards, Krags, trapdoors, 1903s, 1917 Enfields and Marlin lever rifles. I always grind my own tools, making the noses ~0.001"-0.002" wider than the nominal.

IOW my 10 tpi tool nose is 0.051"-0.052" wide and parallel, with a slight clearance angle on the left face.

Compound set at zero, feed SLOWLY!
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Turn your compound parallel with the spindle of the lathe. Start with a tool that's a little thinner than you need and then sneak up on the width with the compound.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1848 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Yeah I blew it. I was thinking pitch not tool width. Oh well no one said I was perfect Big Grin

And swinging the compound parallel to the bore is a good idea. As stated it allows you to sneak up on the width.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker:
Turn your compound parallel with the spindle of the lathe. Start with a tool that's a little thinner than you need and then sneak up on the width with the compound.

James got that correct Butch. If you start with a narrower tool, just feed the compound, set at 90deg, a few thou for a few passes until it fits.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've cut acme threads in the shop many years ago, but no square. Thanks for the help. I do think I will do a trial piece first.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
It doesn't sya that it's for the P-17 but knowing Brownell's, it probably is;

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx...Threading_Bit_Square

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Masterifleman:
It doesn't sya that it's for the P-17 but knowing Brownell's, it probably is;

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx...Threading_Bit_Square

If you go to the general description of the tools the Square is for Springfields and Endfields @ 10 TPI

www.KLStottlemyer.com

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Butch what i did was grind a tool to match the threads of the barrel that came off the action. Did I mention that square threads SUCK!

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was going to do the same, but the only Enfield barrel that I had, I gave away. It appears that the receiver that I bought from Idared has never been chambered. Too Many Tools has it now cutting the ears off and making it look like a nice receiver. Who makes triggers for them?
Butch

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I believe Timney makes a trigger for the Enfield

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
Timney is the only current maker that I have found for triggers.
I use a .050 cut off tool mounted in a cut off tool holder and milled down to fit my 4-way. Measure the thred width as there tends to be a wide array a variance in thred width.

Posts: 364 | Location: Sticks, Indiana | Registered: 03 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
I believe Timney makes a trigger for the Enfield

Doesn't Dayton Traister still make an Enfield trigger along with a COO kit?

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch

If I make it to the Shilen Swap Meet I will bring you a take off barrel from a 1917 Enfield you can use.

Craftsman

Posts: 1539 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Doesn't Dayton Traister still make an Enfield trigger along with a COO kit?

Butch, Dayton does make a trigger for the Enfield, I used it on a 7 STW years ago on a straightened guard Enfield I did years ago and it worked out fine.
Square threads are not that hard to make, Hell if I could do it, I know you wont have any problems...But I would try it on a stub first!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the additional info. Freddie, you better make it. We have visiting to catch up on.
Butch