THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    DAVE WELLS CUSTOM GUNS,NICHOLSON,PA-WAD PISTOL TEST-WARNING

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DAVE WELLS CUSTOM GUNS,NICHOLSON,PA-WAD PISTOL TEST-WARNING
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I tested the Dave Wells(with the KKM barrel) wad pistol at 50 yds.Would not hold better than 5.5" groups with any ammo/powder combination.Sent pistol to a very reputable BE pistol smith in the SE(and on our list) and asked him what is wrong with this pistol.I kind of knew what he was going to say.The bbl WAS NOT A KKM BBL that I paid for.The bushing/bbl fit was not tight-the bushing/slide fit was not tight,hood area was a sloppy fit AND the rear lock up was ON THE LINK RATHER THAN ON THE 2 LUGS.Called Dave Wells and proposed that he-refund some of my money or has the KKM company send me a bbl,at no cost to me,and I would pay a gunsmith,of my choice,to install it in the pistol.In return I would drop the issue.He refused and wanted me to send the pistol to him and he would take care of it-a totally unacceptable idea.I then sent the bbl to Kevin of KKM Precision to verify findings.Talked to him this morning and he said the bbl WAS NOT a KKM bbl.I thought my proposal to Dave Wells was
more than fair but I guess his greed,lack of common sense and arrogance over rode good business sense. I wonder if he knows the definition of fraud?? I realize now that Dave Wells is not a gunsmith,is greedy and totally dishonest and is very comfortable lying to his customers.(when I first got the pistol I asked where was the KKM,Precision LOGO that was supposed to be on barrel)-DAVE WELLS said he had to grind it off to fit bbl)I hope a warning goes around to all our friends on this forum and that Dave Wells does not find any more victims like myself.All of this is documented and all emails are saved in the event that I want to take legal action against him.

Posts: 28 | Location: TN | Registered: 16 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Concho42
posted Hide Post
Ok so who is Dave Wells ? and where is he located ? what State ?

Don't take the chip !

Posts: 578 | Location: PA | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Concho42
posted Hide Post
Bifocals are not good for me I see above all I asked for !

Don't take the chip !

Posts: 578 | Location: PA | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave Wells-Custom Guns,Nicholson,Pa

one of us
posted Hide Post
at the least you should report the guy, I guess to the attorney general there or something? I'm sure the lawyers will be on soon to let you know, but that he'd blatantly defraud you is f'd up in the extreme. must not want to stay in business too bad.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ernierod:
when I first got the pistol I asked where was the KKM,Precision LOGO that was supposed to be on barrel)-DAVE WELLS said he had to grind it off to fit bbl)

That should be a red flag right there. I would not have accepted the pistol

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
*All custom orders including scopes, pistols and rifles require a 50% NON-REFUNDABLE deposit.
*The order date becomes effective when the required deposit has been received.
*All NFA items must be paid in full at the time the paperwork is filed. THERE IS NO REFUND ON NFA ITEMS!
*It is at our discretion whether or not we will work on a firearm which has previously been worked on by other gunsmiths.
*Our delivery times are estimated at the time of the order. We will always try to hold our estimated delivery times. Under no circumstances will we rush any order just to get it out of the shop. The quality of our custom pistols and rifles will not be compromised.
* all custom pistols and rifles we want your 100% satisfaction. As long as customer abuse has not created a problem, we will probably repair your custom pistol or rifle free of charge. If you have a problem, it’s usually ammunition related and we can help you over the phone with any concerns
you might have. If you have questions, please feel free to call during the gunsmith's office hours.
*100% satisfaction is always our goal. This does not cover any gunsmithing or modifications done by anyone outside our company. NO EXCEPTIONS!

*Payments made by certified check or cashiers check can be shipped on same day received. Personal checks require ten days to clear.
*No returns will be allowed if the product has been altered in any way!
*No returns for credit after thirty days from invoice date.
*On all returns, no credit will be granted for shipping charges or surcharges. *Absolutely no exceptions to above stipulations!
*A 20% restocking fee will be charged on all returned merchandise.
*** PRODUCTS ARE SOLD AS IS AND WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY. NO LIABILITY IS EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED FOR DAMAGE OR INJURY WHICH MAY RESULT FROM THE IMPROPER INSTALLATION OR USE OF PRODUCT.
*THERE IS NO NEED TO CALL FOR STATUS UPDATES, WE WILL CONTACT YOU WHEN YOUR WORK IS COMPLETED AND READY TO BE PICKED UP.
*AS WE ARE A FAMILY OWNED AND OPERATED BUSINESS, WE MAY CLOSE UNEXPECTEDLY ON SHORT NOTICE. PLEASE CALL BEFORE COMING BY TO MAKE SURE WE ARE OPEN.

This was taken right of his site.
No where does it say Satisfaction Guaranteed. He uses statements like "we want your satisfaction" "100% satisfaction is our goal"

But at the bottom he absolves himself of all liability NO WARRANTEE which may actually be legal in your state but in California no one can sell a new product without a 30 day warranty of merchantability Nor can someone offer services and not offer a warranty on materials and workmanship.

If it's legal in PA to do this which I doubt you're kinda screwed unless you take him to small claims court.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
warranty isnone thing, isn't fraud independent of warranty?

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I take blame too-I should have solicited more opinions of this Dave Wells from my friends on the forums. The man does not have the ability to build a BE target pistol.He put a pistol together with parts he had around his bench-not what the customer requested and paid for.He didn't just pull a fast one with the barrel-I also asked him to put a quality hammer and sear in there too-verbally mentioning C&S,ED Brown,Les Baer or Wilson for these parts.He didn't do that either.The parts look like standard original equiptment stuff.Trigger was wrong length/weight-binding in frame-a safety issue. I refused to fire it until he fixed it.I have been shooting 45 target pistols competitively for 50+ years including NYS Pistol team at Camp Perry and I completely built 3 target pistols-all 2.5" or better at 50 yards.I have been around 45 pistols a long time.I guess I am too trusting for the Dave Wells of this world. But I am still hopeful-maybe Dave Wells will still have KKM send me a New Match Barrel.Kevin McIntire of KKM is a real decent guy and now knows the situation.One can hope :-) Erod

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Dago
Warranty is the first step is getting the situation corrected. It also gives you some leverage.
I agree it's fraud but this jerk needs to make good either with a full refund or a perfect pistol.
If that doesn't happen off to court.

Now as far as court goes you need to document every phone call every visit every conversation with dates and times and what was said. this gives you a leg to stand on.

Small claims court work on a system of "which is more likely" Not guilt or innocence. If you can establish that you have done everything expected of a customer including cooperating with his policies of returns, Have everything documented, you have a much better chance of winning in court.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave Wells charged my credit card,full price,about 2 months before I received the pistol-something that he wasn't supposed to do.I have received 7 to 8 emails from his disgruntled customers stating that some of them are still waiting to get their pistols,down payment/refunds or in one case a 1911 lower end,sent to him.I have copies of all these emails.To refuse the pistol would not have accomplished anything except longer delays.Not only that I had to send the pistol back one time because he installed a medium length trigger when I had ordered a short trigger,the trigger yoke was binding so badly that I felt it was a safety issue to fire pistol and finally the hit on the primer is so light that the pistol is not that reliable. Do you honestly think I want to send the pistol back to him again,to repair-not in this life time.The really sad part of this situation is that a KKM barrel would have cost him probably less that $155(at cost) and I would have really just dropped the issue.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's okay to post his URL here if you want...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tell him your going to call the ATF and demand an audit of his shop. Been there and done that!I KNOW that will get his attention.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central PA | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
I may be able to help if you dont get resolution. PM me.

Chuck

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

Posts: 332 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 15 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Final Resolution-All I wanted from Dave Wells was a new KKM barrel-which I paid for.Seeing no cooperation from him-I submitted a complaint to the BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU-Washington,DC/Eastern PA district.Within 3 weeks, I received,from Dave Wells,a new KKM barrel.I guess he felt it was the "right" thing to do :-) I am OK with this,learned a lesson and won't have to deal with him ever again.I hope the word spreads about this person so there will not be any more victims. Cheers

posted Hide Post
ernierod,

Send that barrel to KKM for inspection; I wouldn't put it past that guy to have tampered with the heat-treatment.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had Dave Salyer,S.C. gunsmith install/fit new barrel/bushing. Elevation screw,rear sight,had to be shortened-was interfering with firing pin movement.I installed a Ed Brown hammer,sear,extended ejector,modified sear spring and polished all surfaces involved with trigger function/firing. Adj to 3.5 lbs-is crisp and no creep.All these things Dave Wells should have done-but didn't.Pistol finally works like it should.