New
Find
Notify
Tools

Polished chambers????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone in here ever done any work or read anything on polishing you chamber??
I read on a sight called Varmint Al's that it reduces case stretch in the head area... [Confused]

Posts: 36 | Location: THE WISCONSIN | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I've polishjed a couple of rough chambers, but never checked to see if my case life got better afterward! [Confused]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Take this for what it is worth, I read a statement that Rocky Gibbs polished his chambers to a mirror like finish. This is why he could get the performance that he did, and no one else could.

To much fun...

Posts: 297 | Location: Stevensville MT. | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
I was led to believe that you never polish a chamber!! The roughness of the chamber "holds" the brass from being pushed back during ignition. Pressure signs will show at lighter loads. I don't see any way in h*** that polishing a chamber could improve performance.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The theory was that the very smooth chamber allowed loading to higher pressures without the case sticking.
Some say a polished chamber increases bolt thrust others that it increases case stretch.
I think chambers should be straight. They should be round. They should be smooth. If these requirements are met, I'm happy. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3784 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've found that after reblueing a semi-auto rifle
that it helps to buff the chamber a little, but
thats about it, helps functioning.

Posts: 99 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out a sight called Varmint AL's in there he goes into great detail about what in theory occurs in the chamber... After you read it all it makes alot of sense atleast to me...

Posts: 36 | Location: THE WISCONSIN | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello from Varmint Al. Since you guys are talking about my analysis on Rifle Chamber Finish, I thought I would post a link to the page:

http://www.varmintal.net/a243z.htm

The first thing to note is that even a polished chamber is not completely friction free. A fellow engineer is in the process of measuring the coefficient of friction between cartridge brass and 416 Stainless Steel with various surface finishes.

The calculations were done on a 243 Win brass that was sectioned so I could get the measurements of not only the OD, but the ID and wall thickness.

I have been polishing my chambers for a number of years and have not had a case head separation since doing so.

-
Polished Chamber: Animated view of the displacements and contours of effective plastic strain.

Good Hunting... from Varmint Al

Posts: 47 | Location: Bethel Island, CA | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Varmint Al,
You killed this thread with solid analysis. How dare you. If this continues, forums are endangered.

Posts: 72 | Location: Flagstaff, Arizona USA | Registered: 27 November 2002Reply With Quote