Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 52 "Express Rifle" project
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted
I thought I would share a project I am working on with you. I actually started this several years ago with the installation of a new barrel but it has taken me a while to get back to it.
Several years ago I saw photos of a Winchester 52 that had been built into a “mini†express rifle. It had a quarter rib, banded front sight and the stock was a very classy pattern along the lines of a classic express rifle. It was love at first sight!!!!!

In the mid 90’s the Sportsmans Warehouse in Salt Lake City had the Utah Centennial edition of the Winchester 52 reproduction rifles on clearance sale for around $300!!! I picked one up and used it for a few years in the hunter class for metallic silhouette. It shot very well but the barrel leaded up very quickly. I had a Shilen barrel installed and it the new barrel would shoot Eley Tenex under 1†at 100 yards all day long. But I had bigger plans for this rifle.

During my last deployment I decided to start moving forward with this project. I found a very nice Bastogne blank that would be perfect for this project. But it almost became a stock for another rifle until I found a different blank. Sorry for the photos not being too good. They do not do justice to just how great this blank looks. I will see if I can get some better photos emailed to me.

One of the biggest problems with the factory 52 is the sheet metal trigger guard it uses. Options are pretty limited when it comes to nice bottom metal for the 52. Blackburn offers a nice set but I was worried about it taking too long to get a set. I found a very nice 1 piece milled trigger guard that was for the older Kimber rifles. It was the same width as the 52 but the front tang was not correct. I approached Mike McCabe about altering it to work for me. Mike cut both sets just in front of the trigger bow and welded the factory tang to the Kimber trigger bow. Mike opted to use the factory tang since it had all the proper holes and markings. He had to make a few more alterations and when he was finished it looked outstanding!!!! In the photos the bottom metal is not screwed into place so it sits very proud of the wood, but it is actually a perfect fit.

Next in line was the bolt handle. I wanted a classic straight bolt handle and once again Mike came through with flying colors!!!! I was able to see the bolt in the action while I was home for R&R and let me tell you, this photo does not do justice to the great job Mike did. The bolt handle looks perfect in the action and just oozes class.

Mike had a pretty full plate at the time so I sent the rifle off to Dean Zollinger in Rexburg, ID for the remainder of the work. Dean will be installing a trim quarter rib with express sights, banded front sight, banded sling swivel. The scope is a Leupold Ultralight 2x7 mounted in Warne Premier lever quick detach rings.

But the really cool part is what other work he will be doing. Dean is adding a rear tang and tang safety to get rid of the rocker safety on the side of the action. He will also contour the rear of the action to clean it up.

Dean is also using the factory stock and altering it into a very classy pattern stock. Dean will extend the grip and open it up. He will also thin the grip to fit a Fisher steel cap. The cheek piece will be shaped to an oval with shadow line. I have seen what Dean can do when it comes to shaping a factory stock into a nice pattern. His work is amazing!!!!

Once Dean has the pattern shaped it will go to Shane Thompson for duplication. After Shane works his magic it is back to Dean for the final fitting. I will do the finish work on the stock and Dean will do the checkering. I still have not reached a conclusion on what I want for a checkering pattern. The stock will have an ebony tip, steel grip cap, Dakota swivel bases.

This rifle has been a long time dream of mine that is finally coming to be a reality. The great part is that it will be waiting for me to finish the stock on when I get home in FEB. I have been promised photos as the work

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting project.I have a gun that would be perfect for that but I won't change it . It's a Mauser 22 ,made in the '30s , a miniature M98.Find one of those and you'll have the real thing !!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill-

Fantastic project. That is an incredible stock blank and would love to see more as the project develops.

Whose or what bolt handle did Mike use replace the original bolt handle? That really looks classy.

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A super project, please do keep us updated with photos. Really interesting, thanks for sharing.

Posts: 201 | Location: logan, W.V. | Registered: 13 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Interesting project.I have a gun that would be perfect for that but I won't change it . It's a Mauser 22 ,made in the '30s , a miniature M98.Find one of those and you'll have the real thing !!

Interesting- a MAS 45 would fill that bill, also. I have one, and I wouldn't do the build unless I had two- one to customize, one to save Wink

Those Mauser 22's show up with some frequency; many are Bubba'd so altering them doesn't hurt as much.

There are other makes, also, like Erma and Krico. There was a Chinese clone of the Mauser 22 trainer available some years back that would be a good start on such a project, too.

That 52 pictured will be a screamer when it's completed, I'm sure, especially noting the high level of workmanship on the bolt.

added:

apologies for the hijack.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
no pics?? Confused

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote