THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should I Leave It Glossy Or Go For Satin?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted
I have been working secretly on a wood target stock that has next to no figure at all. This is about as bland a hunk of fencepost as you could find.
I have had it in the hood over in one of the chemistry labs while I put coats of thinned tru-oil on it and the women grad students gush about "how beautiful" it is. I take it they have never seen real pretty wood.
It is my observation that what little this wood has to show off will be muted to zero if I buff off the sheen. This isn't a show rifle and I don't want it to look ugly and I think if I buff it that is exactly what it'll turn into...and ugly piece of wood. Right now it is just...spectacularly glossy. [Smile]
What are your recommendations?

[ 02-10-2003, 19:44: Message edited by: Roger Rothschild ]

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Roger,

If you were single, I'd suggest leaving it glossy... [Smile]

Malm

<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
Since you mentioned it's a target stock, then spooking game isn't an issue. Shine on!

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. [Smile]

Malm that was pretty funny.

Mike...maybe I should post some pics first [Wink] it does have some depth to it. [Smile]

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote