Find
Notify
Tools

Should scope and action finish match??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
Well as many of you know I'm working on adding a scope to my 358Norma. The finish on it is a high gloss blue. I was getting ready to order a new scope and my bride asked why I didn't use one of the two brand new matt finished scopes I had on the shelf. I said that the finish needed to match. She gave me one of those smiles, wink and the nod of the head which is her polite way of saying your are being "anal" again. LOL

My view has always been if possible match. A gloss rifle looks OK with a Matt but looks better matched. A Matt rifle looks terrible with a gloss scope. So help me out guys. What is your view should a scope finish match the finish on the rifle?

Question:
Well as many of you know I'm working on adding a scope to my 358Norma. The finish on it is a high gloss blue. I was getting ready to order a new scope and my bride asked why I didn't use one of the two brand new matt finished scopes I had on the shelf. I said that the finish needed to match. She gave me one of those smiles, wink and the nod of the head which is her polite way of saying your are being "anal" again. LOL

My view has always been if possible match. A gloss rifle looks OK with a Matt but looks better matched. A Matt rifle looks terrible with a gloss scope. So help me out guys. What is your view should a scope finish match the finish on the rifle?

Choices:
A gloss rifle should have a gloss scope
A gloss rifle looks fine with a matt scope
They make more than one finish?? LOL

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Ask her if her shoes and purse have to match. My oldest daughter has almost 20 pairs of black shoes because the material/shade has to match either pants, skirts or purses.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Gloss scope on a matte rifle looks a little funny to me. Silver scope on a blue rifle looks like the owner had an extra scope and needed to use it (I've done both Big Grin). Everything else works for me.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am inclined to agree with you one gloss with gloss. There is an exception to this though some guns have a rough bead blast finish on the reviever, ala Winchester model 70's. A matt scope complemnts that.

No a golden rule is the rings should match the scope though, gloss rings with a matt scope looks tacky in my opinion.

If the rifle is high polished and blued I think a gloss finish matches best.

Since you have the scope why don't you install it and see how it looks, you can always change it out if you don't like it.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quite apart from looks, the more gloss you have, the shinier your rifle/scope combination will appear in the field.

So gloss/gloss may look pretty, but gloss/matte will shine less in the field.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not let your own personal likes/dislikes govern your decision? Do you really think that your target is going to know that your rifle and scope don’t “match?â€

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why not let your own personal likes/dislikes govern your decision? Do you really think that your target is going to know that your rifle and scope don’t “match?â€

Rick. I know my feelings. It will have a gloss scope and rings added. I was just curious as to others preferences.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, if “others†are gonna buy your gear for you then consider their opinions. If not, please yourself because your opinion is the only one that matters.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't it be cheaper to reblue the rifle in a
nice bead blasted matte than buy a new scope?

Just my warped 2 pennies worth.

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess Iam the wrong one to ask I have all kinds of stainless rifles with matte or blued scopes on.

Posts: 19597 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Either or makes no difference, but if the price is right I would rather prefer a matte finish on all parts.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wouldn't it be cheaper to reblue the rifle in a
nice bead blasted matte than buy a new scope?

Don, Why in the heck are you throwing logic into this. LOL

p dog I agree I put a matt scope on all my stainless

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could care less what colors or finish either was. As long as it works.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
This is why they make green zinc chromate primer Big Grin

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These types of questions, for some reason, always seem to remind me of the; “Honey...does this dress make me look fat?“...or...“do these shoes look alright with this skirt?“

What, do we now have the rifle fashion-police running around out in the woods handing out tickets to people whose rifles and scopes don’t match or that clash?