THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Whats the best way to get inletting black off wood.......

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whats the best way to get inletting black off wood.......
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
OK, so you've got you stock tightly inletted with good contact and lots of black all the way around. What's the best way to get it completely off the wood without much hassle?.......DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ask Michael Jackson?

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
DJ,
Assumming its on the inside I typically dont worry about removing it. I cant really see any harm in leaving it on the wood. Any reason other than asthetics that you want it gone? I guess you could try sanding the inletting but that could be more trouble than its worth. Maybe some solvent or alchohol would work.Just my .02 worth.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill, I want to remove the black so that I can seal the wood on the inside to keep it from getting oil/solvent soaked. I don't want to scrape it off because I've got it just about as tight as I want it and don't want to change it. I would never sand inletting, you would loose the close fit.
I was wondering if acetone, mineral spirits or some other solvent might work the best on it.......DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DJ,

I started to post and ask the same question last night. I pretty much have the same problem

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
DJ,

Its one thing I havent ever really looked at. I seal the inside of the stock as well. Inletting black wont prevent your finish from penetrating as far as I know. You have nothing to lose by trying various solvents to get rid of it. I would try Lacquer Thinner. It drys fast and leaves a very sterile surface

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Propane torch, will burn that crap out fast. Have a fire extinguisher handy. Roll Eyes

Do not try this at home, I am a professional. I use a safety net and a steel cup.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chic, Are you talking about Michael Jackson too?....... Cool...DJ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DJ, if it was M Jackson, I would not have the fire extinguisher anywhere around.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
acetone

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chic,

that's funny actually, the steel cup part that is. I caught my pants on fire about 2 months ago. Was running a 4.5" grinder with a cutting wheel going through some steel plate. I was on my way out to work and needed it for something (it was the back panel of a computer enclosure). And was wearing my slacks rather than jeans, and no apron of course. And apparently the stain retardent on the pants made them more flammable. All of a sudden I feel heat where I don't want to feel it, look down. Got fire going about the size of a half dollar, sparks had caught the pants. brushed it out with my gloved hand and changed fast to make sure it hadn't gotten too deep. scorch marks on the underwear but that was the extent of it.

Red
PS
since in my attempt I have gotten a bit too messy with it I have gotten it off by rubbing with denatured alcohol. of course at first it starts to smudge and look worse, but after a while gets a bit better. Didn't get it all off, but not as bad as it was.

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
roflmao

BAD DOGS!!!

Lawndart and Chic

You can show how sorry you guys are by sending a donation to the...

Ignited Negroes College Fund

Elmo

Posts: 586 | Location: paloma,ca | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
dj, i use lps contact no flash contact cleaner. spray it on until the black is gone. make sure you hold it so the liquid runs off. this stuff evaporates very fast.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote