Notify
Tools

Re: Question for the Mauser guru's..
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted
Quote:

All of their non-98 endeavors have been flops.

Do you think that is a reflection on the quality of the product or more that it just wasnt what the public wanted?

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of befus
posted Hide Post
I guess it might depend on what one describes as a "flop". Certainly the 98 action is superior in gas handling and a little in strength. Much bugaboo about small ring actions came from Spanish produced weapons. Certainly the 96 was no flop in Sweeden where thousands have been rebarreled to 30-06, 9.3x62, .308, and everywhere in between. In the U.S. Kimber also used the actions for sporter production. The quality of the Oberndorf and Carl Gustavs actions is not in question. Husqvarna used commerical 96 actions for many sporter type rifles as well. I'd not let the quality issue enter in my decision.

Posts: 241 | Location: Beautiful NW Arkansas | Registered: 27 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
When did Mauserwerke cease production?? Im looking at a Mauser rifle that is called a model '96, that is 1996!! I thought they closed their doors long before that and didnt even know these existed!! It is a rotating bolt/straight pull design and I would appreciate any feedback concerning these rifles. Were they german made or ?? Are they any good??

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only time period I am unsure of is the 1960's, otherwise Mauser Oberndorf has been turning out commercial rifles of some sort. The plant shut down in 1945 under French occupation, but Walter Roll (plant director) continued to build sporters using leftover commercial actions and parts until about 1960. Around 1969 the model 2000 and then the 3000 appeared. The 1970's saw the model 66. I had a 98 sporter proofed in 1983. Then came the model 99, and your 96 was introduced in 1997. Now they are making standard and magnum 98's again.

I'm sure Alf can shed more light on production, especially the 1960's.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kurt I appreciate that. I thought they completly stopped production shortly after WWII. For one of the greatest rifle making firms in history they sure arent making a lot of noise in todays market..

Ill bet its nearly impossible to get parts for the '96 but it sure looks like an interesting piece of work. Maybe I should just stick with the tried and true '98..

one of us
posted Hide Post
All of their non-98 endeavors have been flops. Their current 98 models are hand-built and cost about $10K.

I once had a model 98 in 9.3x62 that was proofed in 1983, and I currently have one of Walter Roll's sporters proofed in 1956.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Befus
Don't confuse the 18 96 Military Mauser with the Model 96 commericial Mausers made in the last 30 years

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Check out Sarco Inc. under their gun page , they show four new ones for sale, I think 595. ?

Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would say they were "flops" because they tried to compete with other low cost push-feeds that were on the market at the time, instead of concentrating on what made "mauser" famous in the first place. The problem was that the 98 pattern had become too difficult and costly to manufacture.

Steyr suffered the same fate in 1969 when they had to abandon the Mannlicher-Schoenauer and switch to push-feeds.

Now these original patterns are desireable, and they are even more costly to make than they were 40 years ago.