New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would this be possible/advisable?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Savage 24V in 222/20 gauge which I have used for several years as my coyote calling gun. It is very accurate which surpised me some. I certainly did not expect 1 inch groups from it but it makes that easily. I have played with the idea of rechambering it to the 222 Remington mag or 222 mag improved. Would a rechamber job on a stackbarrel be a difficult job? Would it be advisable on this rifle? Thanks.

Mart

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With 1 inch accuracy I would leave it alone. the marginal gain may not be worth the risk.

Jim

Posts: 1210 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dall85:
With 1 inch accuracy I would leave it alone. the marginal gain may not be worth the risk.

+1 tu2

It's not difficult for a good shop to do. A little more care has to be taken. may even have to ream it by hand depending on the machinery they would have.

That said Personally I'd leave it as is. 300 fps published difference is not enough for me in a small caliber already doing near or above 3000FPS to warrant a change

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMO:

IDEAL = leave it alone

OK but problematical and very little real gain for more $ = rechamber to 223

POOREST = rechamber to Improved and spend a fortune on dies and a week forming cases for, again, very little real gain

Please be advised that any rechamber job runs the risk of making things worse. What's broken about the 222? (if it ain't broke don't fix it, grin)
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leave it alone.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Much good advice. It is something I had considered a while back when I was doing considerably more calling. The 24V works well for most calling situations and I like being able to switch from shotgun to rifle quickly. I guess I was hoping for a little more out of the rifle barrel but all of you are right. The 222 is not broke and it anchors coyotes solidly. I have a ton of brass for it and well, all right, all right you are right, I will leave it as is. tu2 I guess it was one of those passing thoughts.

Mart

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
On option that comes to mind, a bit harder to fulfill, get an extra set of barrels
I have a 24D in .22 mag over a 20 gage. nice color case receiver. Points and shoots well. light enough to pack in anywhere. I too have looked for a set of barrels that are .223 over 20 gage. No luck yet. That would be my only change.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote