Find
Notify
Tools

AR !% Scratches
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted
Is there a way to clean up scratches on the forged aluminum parts on the AR 15s. fishing

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.
NRA Life Member, December 2009

Politicians should wear Nascar Driver's jump suites so we can tell who their corporate sponsers are!

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aluima-black, like touch up blue but for aluminum. I think Birchwood Casey makes it. Just degrease the surface first with 99% isopropyl alcohol.

Posts: 528 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
Is it painted or anodized?

Adam

Ammo, you always need more.

Posts: 463 | Location: Dresden, Ohio | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used the BC stuff, sometimes it works, sometimes not very well (if at all). Maybe because of the specific Al alloy ?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the response guys. It is anodized upper reciever. popcorn

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.

Politicians should wear Nascar Driver's jump suites so we can tell who their corporate sponsers are!

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sent you a PM.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If you polish out scratches on an anodized finish, which is likely hard coated as well, you will cut through the hardness. But you can sand out the scratches and paint it with Gun Coat, I use Brownells Alumahyde 2 a lot; works great.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
What I have are scuff marks in the finish, no metal moved. Just the coating. patriot

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.

One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
dpcd, I looked at the Alumahyde2 from Brownells on their web site last night. The black liquid stuff was back ordered. That's when I thought I might pose the question here and learn what other Smiths are doing with the dilemma.

This Forum is the greatest Gunsmithing book ever written, that's a fact! patriot

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I use the Alumahyde 2 stuff in the spray cans, in various colors.
I just checked; spray cans are in stock. I have used lots of gun coat too; bake on. That works too.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote