Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions: Bausch & Lomb 3000 3-9x50
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted
I am not very familiar with this line of scopes nor am I a fan of 50mm oblectives, but for $149 I figured they may be worth looking into. Also, how do they compare [Wink] to the Leupold Vari X II or III line. Any feedback would be great.

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Bausch & Lomb 3000, 3-9 X 40. When I bought it (from Ballantines) the person I spoke with convinced me that it is as good as the Leupold Var XII, 3-9 X 40, and it was somewhat less expensive. It has given me good service in terms of mechanical stability -- I've had it on a .300 Weatherby and on a .270, but it is definitely not the optical equal of the Leupold Var XII 3-9 X 40. I have one of those on my .300 Weatherby now, and I definitely prefer it to the Bausch & Lomb. [Frown]

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an Elite 3000 in 4x12 that is just a complete piece of trash. It's been returned several times to Bushnell because of severe parralax (and lack of focusing) problems. Each time Bushnell sent it back saying it was ok.

I woudn't take anyother one if it was given to me. [Mad]

Posts: 498 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
Well let's stir the pot...

I looked at a B&L Elite 3000 3 to 9 x 50 the other day at a gun shop I frequent.

I own an old Leupold Vari X II which I wouldn't sell for love nor money, and another Leupold target 10X scope (which I would sell for 185 dollars plus shipping, by the way...)

The B&L was noticeably clearer than either of my Leupolds. I can't, however, attest to structural integrity or warranty service on these, so I didn't buy the scope.

Maybe B&L just screwed up and made a good one? Who knows... But optically, it had it all over the Vari X II Leupolds I've looked through. Its resolution put you in mind of European optics...

Dan Newberry
green 788

<rplocat>
posted
i have 5 of the b&ls 2 of the 3+9+50 also have leupolds the b&ls are just as good and even a little clearer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two B&L Elite 3000's that are much clearer than the Vari-X II and an Elite 4000 that is every bit as clear as a Vari-X III. The Vari-XII is/was a dependable scope, but technological advances passed it by and there were many scopes which were less expensive which had better brightness and resolution--hence the VX-II line. I do own two Vari-X II and one Vari-X III, so I am not a B&L homer. They make fine scopes, but evidently there service dept. needs a lobotomy. I have had zero problems with mine.

Posts: 314 | Location: Abilene,Tx. USA | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
<jjdero>
posted
I've own several B&Ls, the latest is the Elite 3200 5x15x50mm,(on a 7mmstw) like it better than the older B&Ls, and a heck of a lot better than the old, or new Lepould. Its clearer and seems to be made alot better. jjdero

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just pulled my B&L 3000 3-9X40, and my Vari-X II 3-9X40 -- I have them both in Leupold Quick Release mounts -- and took them into the back yard to look through side-by-side. I have to admit that, optically, they are very near the same. But the B&L does seem to flare more around the edge of the image, especially at 9X, and most especially if you move your eye even slightly off of the center of the optical axis. That was my memory -- when shooting at the range, the B&L did seem to have an image with more flare, and to be more sensitive to eye placement than the Leupold. My look throught both of them now confirms that judgment, at least for me.

The B&L does have some advantages. Mine is a matte finish, which I like more than gloss, and the matte is the same price as the gloss. I also like its power-change ring better, as it has a protrusion that makes it easier to grip and turn.

If you offered to give me one, I'd take the Leupold. If I were buying, and there were a $50 difference in price between the two, I would consider the B&L if the $50 made the difference between buying and not buying.

Remember that if you want to sell a used scope, the Leupold is almost certain to retain its value much better than the Bausch & Lomb.

I haven't yet used or even looked through the new generation of Leupolds. The replacement for the Vari-X II (the new #II, whatever its model designation) should be superior because it is multi-coated.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the comments, especially LE270 for ataking your scopes off to compare. I think I will give it a try. For the that price I don't have much to lose. Thanks, Dr. Lou

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DoctorLou,

I have an Elite 3000 3-9x40 and I love it. I have used it in North America and Africa on all kinds of game. Never had a problem at all. Very bright and clear, and waterproof too.

Joel Slate
Slate & Associates, LLC
www.slatesafaris.com

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
I have 2 B&L's - a 3-9X40 Elite 3000 on a 30-06, and a 2.5-10x40 Elite 4000 on another 30-06. I just looked thru them, comparing them to the 2 Leupolds I have mounted - a 1.5-5X20 VariXIII on a .45-70 Guide Gun, and a 4.5-14X50 VariXIII on a 270 Win. All of them are fine scopes. I haven't had a single problem with any of them. I think the Elite 4000 is every bit as bright as the Leupold with the 50mm objective. While not very scientific, I sat out on the back porch with these two guns at sunset. Both of them are very bright, and I wouldn't hesitate to use either one at last shooting light. As far as ruggedness - I don't know. Like I say - I've never had a problem with any scope. Maybe I'm just lucky. ~Jeff

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just pulled my two scopes again (a Leupold VARI X IIc 3-9X40, and a Bausch & Lomb 3000 3-9X40; see my post above in this thread) and took them outside to compare them side by side. This time is was almost full dark -- the last time it was midday. Tonight, under these dark conditions, I could see that this Leupold is definitely optically superior to this B&L. The B&L has a somewhat milky, flare-harmed image, while the image from the Leupold is more crisp.

That was also my assessment of the optical qualities of these two from shooting the rifles I have them on at the range. The B&L has an image that is less crisp and more subject to flare than the Leupold.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I much prefer the b&l 3200 to the varix ii.I would however choose the 40 mm as it can be mounted lower which makes it easier to rest your cheek properly and still see through the center of the scope.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote