New
Find
Notify
Tools

1917 Enfield Parts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Who handles the "cocks on opening" mechanism for a 1917 Enfield?

Any ideas for a great bolt handle to replace the dog "leg"?

Thanks,

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dear Jim,
As I recall Dayton Traister in Washington State is the only one who still makes the kit. I have some old #s that might but you`ll have to call Brownells and check. I think [?] you gotta use their trigger but can`t remember.Good luck and
Aloha, Mark
240-100-117AA trigger
240-200-117AA speedlock

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dayton traister make one and Ed Lapour makes a real nice one with a win70 type safety. I'm not a fan of daytons trigger, but I've used the dayton cocking piece with a timney trigger and mainspring with no problems.
-Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help. I found the "cocks on opening" system at Brownells and am very happy to know this will work with the Timney trigger. I will check out Ed La Pour's version; however my recent discussion with him indicated he is behind in production of safeties.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
tip burns, www.burnsgunrepair.com just got thru with my eddystone enfield, he changed it to the cock-on-opening....check him out...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2834 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dall85:
Thanks for the help. I found the "cocks on opening" system at Brownells and am very happy to know this will work with the Timney trigger. I will check out Ed La Pour's version; however my recent discussion with him indicated he is behind in production of safeties.

I know he's behind but is doing a run on safeties that will be available in about a month, but I don't know if the enfields will be with them.
-Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dall85-

I too, am not a huge "dog-leg" bolt handle fan on the Enfields. Here are a couple of examples of different Bolt handle treatements:

What follows is the use of a Jim Baiar Obendorf handle on an Enfield courtesy of Tip Burns. A fantastic job by Tip.

What follows is the use of a Gerome Glimm bolt handle and an Ed LaPour Safety:

Same as above but, finished:

Good luck!!!

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote