Find
Notify
Tools

How to remove engraved letters
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi Folks.

Just wondering here. Normally if one wants to remove engraved letters from a barrel, action etc 99,999% of gunsmiths would file it down and polish. But...is there a product like a powderized metal or something where one fill out the engraved letters and then polish in order not to remove too metal?. I know one can add metal by welding but here in this case it´s a side-by-side gun where the barrels can´t take the heat from welding.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would wrapping the rest of the barrels in wet cloths and holding in a large vice to act as a heat sink and then fast use of tig welder and letting it cool between each letter do the trick?

must admit that the amount of safety and warnings and instructions to read the manual now engraved on the side of many even high grade shotguns does turn me off.

Posts: 985 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Laser welding would work but I'm betting you will always see the area that was welded.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What's the engraving you want to remove and where on the barrels is it? If near the breech then it can be struck off (filed) and a good enough radius put on that it won't be noticed. But you'll have to re-lack the barrels.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:
What's the engraving you want to remove and where on the barrels is it? If near the breech then it can be struck off (filed) and a good enough radius put on that it won't be noticed. But you'll have to re-lack the barrels.

It´s a double rifle that has been rechambered back to to .450Nitro from an earlier resleeved chamber in .458Win Magnum. On on barrel is says:" .458 Win Magnum" I want to remove "8& win" without filing down so it might change the contour of the one barrel. That´s why I have thought finding something I could grout the lettering with. Maybe use expoy adding steel crust and smooth it out....or something

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Have you thought of lightly stippling it out? You could stipple the whole caliber marking over and then re-stamp within the stippled rectangle.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depending on the depth: I have burnished un wanted lettering. Using an old file remove the teeth , shape as wanted, then highly polish. LOTS of pressure can burnish some pretty deep lettering...you're really just displacing metal.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yikes; I am more worried about the 450 Nitro that was sleeved to 458 Win Mag, then re-converted to 450 Nitro. I am thinking this is not a good idea, if they removed any metal in the process.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Burnishing them out is a possibility.
Inlaying a piece of steel into the bbl over the top of them is another. The entire offending marking can be elliminated and a new one then engraved.
Inlaying steel into steel isn't new but not all engravers are going to be willing to take on the work.'It isn';t difficult, nor destructive if the right techniques are used.
You won't see the inlay outline and it'll blend in with rust blue perfectly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
Maybe micro welding?

http://www.restorativewelding.com/Welcome.html

Thanks!.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Yes they can be micro welded with no sink and no absorbed heat into the barrel.

BTW the picture in the above links is not micro welding

This is kinda what micro welding consist of

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote