New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opening up bolt face
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am considering building a bolt action 30 Remington AR rifle on a savage action. I'm just wanting to know if the bold head for the 308 size assembly can be opened up to accommodate the case head of the 30 RAR. The 473 case head would need to be opened to accept the 496 case head of the 30 Remington AR. Two questions actually, (1) can it be done and (2) is this safe. Several may ask why and the only reason that comes to mind is "cause I want to". Thanks in advance for all you gunsmiths out there. Keep me safe

Posts: 277 | Location: Newton, MS | Registered: 08 August 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I am not familiar with Savage, but have opened up many bolt faces from other makers like Remington, Winchester, Sako etc.

All you need is to check if the bolt face is big enough.

It is a very simple operation.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68798 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
S is right of course, it is child's play. Savages are made with Magnum bolt heads, and even Lapua ones, which are much bigger than you want.
So you already know the answer. Go for it.
Actually a magnum bolt head might work as is. And Savages are easy as the bolt heads are readily available and you just chuck them up and cut them out.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you both. Step one (is it possible) completed.

Posts: 277 | Location: Newton, MS | Registered: 08 August 2005Reply With Quote