THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1910 Mexican Bottom Metal soon available!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
FYI, I spoke to Andy at Sunny-Hill and he said they're doing a run of bottom metal for the 1910 Mexican actions.

He said they should be available in May.

I'm happy because we need one for my wife's 1910 project.

I have to admit it is nice with Sunny-Hill, if
you order a bottom metal they have it sitting on a shelf and send it out immediately.

I thought this was interesting. The also make a barrel with integral quarter rib and barrel band and I think he said front sight base.

They sell for $900 gunsmith price.

He is E-mailing me some pictures if any one would like to see them.

The barrels won't work for me as we are going with LW.

I just thought it was a pretty good price if anyone was wanting that type of barrel.

Allen

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Allen,
thanks for that info. I have been waiting for one from Blackburn for 3 or 4 years for a 257 Roberts 1910 that I am building for my daughter.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Customstox,
Your welcome.

I thought there were a few that might like to be able to get some Mexican bottom metal in addition to me.

What caliber are you building the 1910 in for your daughter?

We have decided after going back and forth a few times between the 250-3000 and something else, we
finally settled on the 6.5x57 Mauser.

It's such a nice fit in the 1910 and is a fairly versatile cartridge on the small end of a
pair of rifles for my wife. Her "big" one will be a 9.3x62.

Allen

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whats the price on the bottom metal?

......civilize 'em with a Krag

Posts: 291 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Good work Allen, I'd like to see pics of the bottom metal and the integral rib barrel, and the prices.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As far as price Andy said the 1910 Mexican bottom metal will be priced the same as
standard 30-06 length bottom metal.

I think the retail prices are (going from memory here)

$499 for the 30-06 length standard box.
$550 for the .375 drop box.
$610 for the .375 drop box with Rigby floor plate. The floor plate is not just an add on.
The barrel with the integral goodies is $975 FFL price and $1150 retail.

He said there's a pretty good savings over retail to FFL holders. Over $100.
I didn't ask the actual FFL price. I meant to but got talking and forgot.

Andy said they also make octagon barrels, not with the integral components though.

As far as how they look my understanding is they will look just like the 30-60 size just shorter.

They are updating their web site. Here's a link to their Mauser Bottom Metal with some pictures:
www.sunny-hill.com/products/assemblies/98mauser.html

They also make a .375 drop bottom metal that holds 4 down and a.375 drop box but with a Rigby style floor plate that holds 5 down.
The Rigby floor plate version is not on their web site yet. I have pictures if any one would like to see them.

That's the one I'm going to use.

I spoke to Andy about the possibility of using his #440R (a.375 drop box with the Rigby floor plate) for the .404 Jeffery and he said there should no problem as there is enough metal on the sides to machine it open for the .404J.

In case anybody is interested.
I spoke to Jim Dubell who will be doing our metal work(if I ever finish getting my parts gathered up).

To work on the feed rails and machine open the sides of the bottom metal and make it feed would based on bench
time and would be between $150 to $350 of work.

Just so you know I don't have any thing to do with Sunny-Hill. They offer some things that are not easily
obtained else where. It's not the cheapest stuff in the world but they have it sitting on a shelf ready to ship.In the gun smiting world, for
me as a customer that sure is nice.

Andy is e-mailing me some pictures of the barrels to me this afternoon. I don't know how to post pics, but I
could e-mail them to some one who can post them if any one would like.

Allen

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
email pics to me and I will post them here. fla3006@yahoo.com

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Allen

That is some great news.
Has anyone been in contact with Blackburn lately. I have not been able to able to get them on the phone or an e-mail reply for some time. Are they still in business?

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How does Sunny-Hill make their bottom metal? Is it machined from a casting or a forging, maybe plate or bar stock?

Posts: 1243 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
Here is a picture of some m70 bottom metal I got for a 416 Rem project. It is of the drop box variety. I could be wrong but this looks and feels machined.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
David,
My understanding is they are machined from bar or plate stock.

fla3006,
I will e-mail the pics as soon as I receive them. Did you want the Rigby style floor plate bottom metal pics also?

Allen

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Sure, I'll post whatever you send.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Any updates on picts? Wink
Jeff P

Posts: 330 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JBennet: A friend of mine (and Ted's) flew out to Utah just "to see" He purchased a standard 98 (06) and a 416 Rem pot belly...nothing much on the shelf, but parts and pieces for about 100 triggers..phones should be working by tomorrow?? Lotsa problems they hope to work out.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Duane for the update... Sounds like they're on it then... looking forward to seeing these. I too have a 1910 Mex project in a box with Husquavarna bottom metal, PME safety, etc. Going to be for the wife... probably a .250 Savage.

Jeff P

Posts: 330 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Duane

Thank you very much for your update.

Maggie told me to check with her in 3 weeks. That was August 21. I have not been able to contact since then. She had made the statement that they were low on inventory and finances at that time.

Do you know if Ted will still be running things?
I like there product and wish them the very best.

James

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another thing a guy could do would be to use one of these triggerguards. You could cut off the Mexican Triggerguard and weld on one of these triggerguards to the box and then add a straddle floorplate to fit. A lot cheaper than $400.00.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
James,
Are you still waiting on Mexican bottom metal? This nice man was kind enough to give me his bottom metal about 1 1/2yrs ago and got back in line. If need be I can give you yours back and I will get in line.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
where did you find that 22WRF? cut off another triggerguard, or someone make those?

Posts: 276 | Location: MId-Michigan (back in the States) | Registered: 21 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch

Yes, I am still waiting.
As for your offer, Thanks but No. I am a big boy and I knew the scheme of things when I offered it to you. I am a man of my word if nothing else, so enjoy with my blessing.

On another note. This is the first time that I have ever ordered from Ted that he has not come through. Sure I had to wait sometimes 3 or 4 months but nothing like this. I know there was some illness with Maggie and a few other things.I may be wrong but I thought Ted told me the first of 2007 that he had hired a new machinist and had a new CNC mill he was setting up. Don't know. Life for the living goes on.

James

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thismortalcoil:
where did you find that 22WRF? cut off another triggerguard, or someone make those?

Mr. Wisner made em. If you need one PM me as I have a couple for sale.