New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel install video/Mauser?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I think this is a generally good video on barrel install but what aspect is missing? Any part of the action overlooked?

https://www.bing.com/videos/se...592A825E&FORM=VRDGAR

Posts: 3713 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would NEVER loan him one of my reamers!!!!!!

Posts: 41869 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm not a big fan of floating reamer holders or holding barrels in chucks. I must say though. It's the first time I've ever seen anyone chamber a barrel with no measuring equipment. But I suppose it accomplishes the same thing.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He did use a depth micrometer, run out, and feeler gauges. But what struck me odd was that he spent so much time squaring the receiver face and torque shoulder plus bore line parallel threading, yet paid no attention to the bolt face or locking lugs. It seems to me he should have squared the bolt face and lapped in the lugs first, then mounted and chambered the barrel.

Posts: 3713 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems like everybody chambers a little different. I use a four jaw and spider as well but indicate with a range rod so that I know the bore is running true through the whole range of chamber area. In the video he seemed to be only checking the first .500 of the barrel. I also only take cuts of .060 or so (with a finish reamer) at a time with good cutting fluid and remove the reamer every pass to clean the reamer and the bore, but I know there's lots of folks that use a flushing system that seems to work well for them.

Posts: 581 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote