New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser extractor question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was told by a supplier this AM that all full sized 98 extractors are the same. I've also been advised that the extractors for the '09 Argentine are unique to that rifle due to the configuration of the extractor groove of the 7.65x54 round. I know that the '09 extractor will not hold a 257 Roberts case very well at all. A standard 98 extractor on the '09 works just fine. So it would seem to me that I've got a really worn extractor or the guy with "twenty years in this business" knows less than he thinks he does. Thanks.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anybody???

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
Anybody???

In both of my 09 arg. M98's a 7mm mauser (257R parent case?) snaps in just fine. Maybe someone over ground the beveled edge to snap over a chambered round?

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Craigster,

the 1909 extractors are different and will not hold a .257 or a .30-06 properly!
They are designed for the 7,65X53 Arg. Mauser and this is not by modification. I know that because every 1909 action of my half dozen in stock has the same problem.
On my .257 Roberts Ackley Imp I switch the extractor to a regular 98k extractor and it worked fine. Keep the originals for conversions to a bigger head size like the belted magnum cartridges. Smiler
Robert

Posts: 83 | Location: Germany, NRW | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Robert,

Thanks much for the information. I was pretty sure that was the case. I replaced the '09 extractor with a standard 98 version and it works just fine.

Craig

one of us
posted Hide Post
Craigster, I actually got some information on this for you but left it at home, I'll try to remember to send it to you tonight.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both 7x57 and 257 Roberts rifles on '09 Argies with original extractors. They don't seem to have any problems at all. I wonder if someone modified yours.......

Clemson

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

Posts: 338 | Location: Greenwood, SC | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Likewise, my 09 chambered in 7x57 feeds and extracts fine with the stock extractor....

MKane160

You can always make more money, you can never make more time...........LLYWD. Have you signed your donor card yet?

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote