New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel fluting
 Login/Join

<MOA>
posted
What is the minimum countour that can be fluted? I'm just about to have my Win model 70 270WSM sent to Hill coutry then to Mcmillan to be stocked. I would like to get the lightest contour Lilja that can be fluted. I'm also having a difficult time deciding on which Mcmillan stock. Someone suggested the supergrade. It's hard to tell what will fit me by looking at their website

one of us
posted Hide Post
In this case it's best to ask you gunsmith what he feels comfortable with but remember if you are trying to save weight forget about fluting as no one would flute past the minimum countour they would use anyway.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lilja's homepage, www.riflebarrels.com has data on his barrels and his email addy if you want to contact him. I think that he states that a Lilja contour #5 is the smallest barrel that can be fluted. His fluting is very nice but I don't like the concept, just a personal thing.

Posts: 275 | Location: NW USA | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
<MOA>
posted
Thanks guys, it seems that lilja won't flute less than a #5 for a sporter. I didn't see any prices for barrel installation, does he do this? Any opinions of the McMillan stock would be appreciated. Does anyone know how much weight the lite-fill material saves?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lilja dropped gunsmithing as a service, several years ago. He may be able to suggest a good 'smith in your area if needed. Give him a call or email.

<Mike Dettorre>
posted
Contact Pinaire gunsmithing in AZ. The advertise in rifle. His fluting saved me quite a bit of weight. Some people think deep fluting is controversial.

As I recall his fluting goes down to about 200/1000 wall thickness in front of the chamber.

<leo>
posted
MOA, just ask Matt at Hill country rifle what Lilja contour he will flute as they can do it themselves even though Lilja may not. I have a #3 Lilja contour that I had Superior Ammo flute the heck out of.

<John Lewis>
posted
Are you using chrome-moly or stainless? You can use a smaller barrel with chrome moly. Of course I think Lilja only makes stainless.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lilja makes barrels from SS and CrMo. I think that the biggest dia. (2" or larger?) is only avail in CrMo.

<FarRight>
posted
Lilja makes fine barrels. My family knows him personally. We lived very close to Plains, MT for many years and my grandpa has lived off Hw 135 near ST. Regis since the 70's. Lilja doesn't install the barrels cause he didn't want to take service away from Mr. Olson. Mr. Olson will be glad to install the barrel for you at a very fair and reasonable price.

I beleive you got your contour information but also make sure you understand that at least to my knowledge, Lilja will only flute stainless barrels. They do make chrome moly barrels as well.

As for McMillan, I have no experience with them but have heard nothing but good about them as well. For that price, they better be damn good. I think you are on your way to a fine hunting rig. Good luck and give us a range report when you are done.