New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel Sleave?????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm just wondering if I messed up or not. Just built a 6.5-06 for long range shooting on a Mauser 98 action that has been trued. The barrel is a 28 7/8" Shilen SS SM, 1.3" diameter. The action is steel bedded along with the first 3" of the barrel.

Should this rifle have a sleave installed on the barrel. I ask because I went to my first long range (500yd) shoot last weekend and saw a rifle built very close to mine. It has an octagon shaped looking thing on the barrel immediately ahead of the action. I am guessing that it is a sleave.

Any input??

Dan B.

Posts: 130 | Location: Armagh, PA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are a couple of reasons a sleeve is used in a case like your's.
First, the use of a sleeve or a bedding block effectively shortens and therefor stiffens the barrel.
Secondly, there is some concern as to whether or not the M98 can support a long heavy barrel.
I would say that if your outfit seems to give you too much vertical dispersion then you may want to consider changing your system. As always if it works it's good! Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3534 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I should have added that not only is the action bedded with Steel Bed, but it is bedded to a .75" aluminum plate that was handmade and steel bedded into the stock.

I'll keep an eye out for vertical dispersion.

Dan

one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
Is the entire barrel 1.3" dia.? How much does this puppy weigh?(!)

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
DanB-Aren't describing a barrel block bedding system as typically used in the heavy gun class? If so, this is a very different system than an action sleeve. Typically the block holds just the barrel foreward of the action to a metal base inletted into the stock and the rest of the barrel and action itself are free floated. I've even seen all aluminum stocks to which the barrel block is attached. I've never seen anyone go to this effort and still use a Mauser action and expect to be competitive due to the relative-non ridgidity of the mauser action. Most guys use Stolle/ Nesika actions for this type of system.-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes a sleeve and a barrel block are two different things that have to different objectives.
A sleeve is used to strength a factory action. It provides a stiffer base than a standard factory action because it does not have a opening or such a large loading port. A sleeve simply keeps the action true to center under recoil, but does not support any weight of the barrel.
On the other hand a barrel block has nothing to do with the action what so ever. A bedding block simply "fools" the barrel into thinking it weighs less than it does. It provides a longer tube of support than a barrel tenon which keeps the barrel from twisting the action and the barrel it's self from drooping.

PS sonofagun; my 1.3"x32" 30-8mmRem barrel weighs about 12lbs (thats with fluting heheh)

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What DanB described was a barrel sleeve in all likelyhood. This works like a barrel block in many respects differing only in the method of installation. The sleeve may be either glued or a shrink fit onto the barrel. You have to be careful with the shrink fit though. It is actually possible to constrict the bore with too tight a sleeve.
With either system the action requirments are a bit different than with a conventionally built rifle just because the action no longer has to act as a stressed part of the bedding system. There is every reason to believe all of the other things that are important in an action bedded rifle are still important. In other words, straight and concentric is still good.
Years ago I saw several unlimited rifles built with blocks and using mauser action which never won anything. This may have had more to do with the overall workmanship than the action choice however. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3534 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanD:
Yes a sleeve and a barrel block are two different things that have to different objectives.
A sleeve is used to strength a factory action. It provides a stiffer base than a standard factory action because it does not have a opening or such a large loading port. A sleeve simply keeps the action true to center under recoil, but does not support any weight of the barrel.
On the other hand a barrel block has nothing to do with the action what so ever. A bedding block simply "fools" the barrel into thinking it weighs less than it does. It provides a longer tube of support than a barrel tenon which keeps the barrel from twisting the action and the barrel it's self from drooping.

PS sonofagun; my 1.3"x32" 30-8mmRem barrel weighs about 12lbs (thats with fluting heheh)

I'm only inquiring about GUN weights, not BARREL weights - what does the GUN weigh?
Howabout it DanB? ?????

Signed,

Anxious in waiting

. :.
.::.:.

actual 60 shot group, 6,060.60 yds, 60 degrees uphill, 60 degrees below zero, 60 mph winds, .60/06 (600 grain bullet, 60 grains 6060, seated .060 off lands).

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to keep youo waiting....I was on vacation. The completed gun goes just under 20 pounds.