New
Find
Notify
Tools

Krag Mauser
 Login/Join

<chris_m>
posted
I have a project in the thought process and would like to get people�s thoughts on it? I have a M1936 Mexican Mauser action, combined with the bottom metal from a 1922 Siamese Mauser. That would be barreled and chambered for the old Krag round. Is there a better way to go than this route? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Chris March

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you mean a Type 22 Siamese Mauser designed for the 8x52 Siamese cartridge(OAL 2.96) I think you may have a magazine length problem. The .30 Krag is nearly 60 mm in length(OAL 3.085) and with a suitable bullet the overall length may be too much, but with light weight bullets seated deep you might get by. If you've got the action to the Siamese and this is a reloading proposition why not reload for the 8x52? Handloaded it will blow the doors off of the Krag and function perfectly. You can get the brass from Buffalo Arms (www.BUFFALOARMS.com) $43.00/50 and Lee will make a custom collet die for $50.00.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
<chris_m>
posted
I am interested in having a souped 30-40. I found an old issue of "Handloader" with an article about loading the krag for a Siamese mauser. The author was getting close to factory loaded 30-06 ballistics. I have a long love affair with the Krag ever since I took to the field with grandfathers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chris-m,
I also have been a fan of the 30/40Krag. Over 30 years ago I read Bolt Action Rifles by Frank DeHaas. In the section on the Siamese mauser he mentioned it as being ideal for the 30/40 Krag. This stayed with me and when, 10 years later, I had the opportunity to buy a Siamese mauser I did so.
Well, it turned out that the 30/40 isn't a perfect fit and feeding was always a problem. The magazine did have to be lengthened. The rifle looked pretty good and shot well. I loaded 165s to about 2720fps.
A far better choice in actions for a hotrodded 30/40 is the P14. Although homely, it is stronger and feeds perfectly.
The best choice is probably one of the single shots. The Ruger No1 comes to mind first but there are a bunch of others available now that would work well.
In my 30/40 #4 Lee Enfield I shoot 220s at just over 2300fps and 180s at 2550. 150s are easily loaded to 2800. Case life isn't great with heavy loads in the Lee Enfield because it is a bit stretchy. Knock 100 fps off each of these loads and case life will double.
In the Siamese Mauser the 7.62 Russian might be the best 30. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3784 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In that Mexican you could simply use a .308 and load it to Krag velocity...or a 30-06..

A rimmed round never works well in a bolt gun IMO..

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<chris_m>
posted
I don't see why I would load down the 308??? The purpose is to load up the 30-40 Krag to level that would put at little bit ahead of the 308 and a little bit behind the '06.

As for rimmed cartridges and bolt guns. What about the Enfield, probably one of the finest and most reliable battle rifles ever built.

I can always get a 308 or '06 at Wal Mart. I would like a rifle that will be unique.

one of us
posted Hide Post
chris-m,
The P-14 is the Enfield. The 30/40 will do little more than the 308 because the case capacity is very nearly the same. In my stronger actioned 30/40s I use 308 data as a guideline and it works out well giving the velocities you might expect from a 308 using the same loads. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3784 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote