Find
Notify
Tools

Re: I discover myself to be a wimp!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
Thoughtful. Prudent. Properly conservative. Introspective. Perhaps a wee skosh better educated today than a couple of days ago...

All of those things I can believe about you, Bill. But a WIMP?

NEVER.

Alberta Canuck

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
If it ain't below .470 in head diameter,175gr. bullet weight, 57mm in length and .284 bullet diameter the fun in shooting it has seriously deminished. I for a majority of one will step aside and let the young Turks prove their manhood. I just got a CZ 527 A merican in .222 . What a joy. I shot a.17 cal in the same rifle the other day and liked it better. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill
I feel your pain!!!!!!!!!!
I have a No 3 Ruger in 45-70, I have never been hit
so hard as that with a big load of 3031 behind a 405
gr bullet. Now I load it for fun, 10 or 12 grains
of unique. Then it is fun for anyone to shoot.
Lyle

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill:
I've managed up to a .416, with a well-designed stock and muzzle brake, offhand, with no discomfort.

OTOH, I have an old Remington 30S in .30-06 with a hard plastic butt plate and a lot of pitch on the comb. Even with the PAST shoulder pad, you really feel the whack. With all the pitch the recoil sends the comb right into your cheek- after 2 shots, it gets painful. Instant flinch.

Anymore, if I'm testing groups or zero with a thumper, I just break out the Lahti rifle rest / evaluator. It tolerates the pain better than I would.

Posts: 48 | Location: SE PA, USA | Registered: 28 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill: I feel your pain, and we have something in common. When I was in college, a friend was fighting Hvywt. Golden Gloves. I had fought a bit and weighed about 170 at the time. I sparred with him one day; he never did get a clean shot to my head, don't know if it was skill or luck. The body blows felt like somebody hitting me with a sledge hammer; I saw stars on every one.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A few weeks ago I came to the same conclusion about myself. I took my 7 1/2 lb. 375 H&H to the range along with my T/C Encore in 45-70 that weighs about 6 pounds.

I was firing 270 gr. loads through the 375 with out a bit of problems, and when finished I pulled out the 45-70. I had loaded some ammo with 400 grain bullets and a stout charge of Rl-7. The hammer dropped and I was given the most rude jolt from I rifle I had ever felt. I placed a couple sand bags behind the butt and fired a few more rounds that were tolerable, even with the wicked muzzle flip. I finished the day with a round offhand, without any added recoil protection. The punisment was delivered with avengance, and even with 4+ inches of eye relief, I felt the scope brush by.

At one time I thought that I would punch the barrel out to 45-90 for some extra zing. Lucky for me I fired it first, as at this weight the recoil is in the abuse catagory.

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote