New
Find
Notify
Tools

M70 bolt threads out of time
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
We got a strange one in this week. A customer mailed in two post 64 CRF Connecticut made guns. Both are SS and belted magnums, 7mm and .300 Win. The 7mm was a bit sticky on uplift and I got that fixed with some polishing and grease.

The .300 however has an odd issue. Customer stated he could lift up the bolt when on safe. Claimed he bought the gun new years ago and it just started doing this. When I inspected the bolt sure enough the bolt wouldn't lock with the safety on. The bolt shroud wasn't screwed in far enough for the bolt lock to engage. When I tried to screw it in further it bottomed out about 270 degrees shy of the shroud lock detent. I removed the firing pin assembly and tried it in the other bolt. It timed perfectly. Likewise I tried the other FP assy in the .300 bolt and it bottomed at the same spot. So it looks like the .300 bolt body has it's internal threads out of time. Anyone else ever see that? More importantly anyone know where I can get a replacement? I've seen a couple for sale at $600!

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Well I'd say it is due to bad luck.
I would just make the bolt lock plunger longer and go with it as is. After all, it worked once; the bolt lock probably was barely engaging and the end wore off. Or the bolt notch wore a bit.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote