New
Find
Notify
Tools

LH COnversion of a Pre64 Win M70?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I love my 300H&H, but as a left handed shooter, I am interested in seeing if it can be converted to left bolt operation w/o costing me more than the dear old rifle is worth.

Any one have input on this procedure and or smiths who might do that kind of work?

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Best to sell it and buy a LH rifle. I think a conversion would cost a lot more.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I love my 300H&H, but as a left handed shooter, I am interested in seeing if it can be converted to left bolt operation w/o costing me more than the dear old rifle is worth

rotflmo I sure wouldn't try and change a pre 64 to LH. No way you could convert it for the cost of new. If you did convert what would you have.??? You are not only talking altering the full function of the action but stock as well. Frowner

If you don't want the RH 300 sell it and buy a left hand one. You will be $$ ahead

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Years ago, I encountered a LH bolt conversion of a pre-64 Winchester featherweight. I have kicked myself many times for passing on it. I have a LH bolt conversion of a Remington 721, and it is a pleasure to use.
BTW....I noticed a 300 H&H pre-64 on Armslist today....for 1000. Pretty good if legit.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
I've only ever fantasized about doing that, but can't bring myself to fathom the cost of such an undertaking or what the result might look like.

If anyone ever figures out how to do this beautifully, I've got some rifles to buy!

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clayman:
I've only ever fantasized about doing that, but can't bring myself to fathom the cost of such an undertaking or what the result might look like.

If anyone ever figures out how to do this beautifully, I've got some rifles to buy!

I think Craig Boddington has one. Years ago Roy Gradle made a neat conversion using a gear.

Posts: 188 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 14 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted 20 December 2013 22:10 Hide Post
Best to sell it and buy a LH rifle. I think a conversion would cost a lot more.

absolutely, positively, the best advice

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any smiths in the comments so far? I was asking for recommends on who to contact, not whether I should do the conversion or not.

I have seen several such rifles in the past, indeed, the Boddington LH was sold a few yeas back on on e of the auction sites.

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 1941 model 70 so converted. I believe Bob West did the conversion. It was a dead ringer for Boddington's. I had it rebored from 30-06 to 35 Whelen and still have the rifle. I have since tried to find smiths who would do the similar conversions, Gary Stiles was one of them. All have told me the same thing, that it is prohibitively expensive and they were not interested in taking on the job.

Truly your best bet is to find a modern left handed model 70, Zastava, Remington, Mauser 3000 or Sako and have it rebarreled. I'm not sure but I think CZ even did a left handed 375 H&H. I have tried bidding on some Sedgley Springfields's that were converted to left hand operation but they all ended up going to deeper pocketed buyers.

I can appreciate your frustration. I have long hoped to find a smith who would do lefty conversions but have given up on the prospect but will grab one of the converted ones if I see them.

There has been a converted lefty 721 on one of the auction sites for some time but it appears to have been through a fire and the buyer is convinced the rifle came from the factory as left handed. I communicated with him about the rifle and tried to no avail to convince him Remington never made a left handed 721. You don't want that rifle.

Best of luck in your search. By the way. I had Remington do one of their 700 KS Mountain Rifles in 300 H&H back in 1993. Great rifle.

Mart

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen more right handed bolt actions that were converted to lefties offered for sale at Rock Island Auctions than any where else. Conversions to Win. 70,s, Mauser 98's, Rem 700,s etc...
When a rifle connoisseur passes, the family liquidates the collection to such auctions, far below build costs. I have contacted The now deceased Gary Stiles in the past for such conversion and he stated: " I don't do those any more. They are time exhaustive ...$$$... and not a fun project." I am not sure if a gunsmith is willing to partake the project especially in today's sue happy society. They definitely need to know what they are doing and not be a first time practice on your beloved rifle. I will hazard a guess the cost will be the price of two to three brand new rifles. Best of luck to you.

Posts: 1023 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HPMaster:
I love my 300H&H, but as a left handed shooter, I am interested in seeing if it can be converted to left bolt operation w/o costing me more than the dear old rifle is worth.

Any one have input on this procedure and or smiths who might do that kind of work?

quote:
I was asking for recommends on who to contact, not whether I should do the conversion or not.

Not be be argumentative, but you were asking for general inputs of the type you have received... (cost versus benefit)

One thing not mentioned is the action type of your dear old rifle: Is it available in a left handed action? What is unique about this rifle that makes you want to preserve the action? Is it the action specifically, or some other intangible such as the fit and appearance of the stock? Does it have sentimental value because it was hand checkered by your late grandfather? I know the action is the heart of the rifle, but if the stock is the soul could you maybe fit a left handed action in the existing stock?

Personally I can't even fathom the amount of work required, and the extreme compromise that would result over such a conversion. If I found a lefty I really liked I would attempt to duplicate the features I desired in an appropriately oriented rifle long before I would ever consider some kind of cobbled together conversion, no matter how professionally done.

Don't feel obligated to respond if your mind is made up and you plan to proceed with the conversion anyway.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not a very good idea for safety alone RH side of face is exposed to all the gas relief. Get a LH rifle that is set up for a leftie.

kk alaska

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input, espc. Mr. Wiebe.

The rifle will stay as is, and I will continue to use it as is.

I find that all in all, I run a RH bolt better anyways- too many years of doing it w/ a RH bolt. My LH bolt guns seem so, foreign, anyway!

Merry Christmas to all!