Find
Notify
Tools

Re: A question fro the new guy..
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted
I considered the savage because I have heard decent things about them, but to be honest I have never seen one up close. As far as the stock goes I was just wondering if there was an advantage of one over the other ;o)

I thank you for the input, John

Posts: 549 | Location: Denial | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted Hide Post
I have decided I need a 30-06 or 338-06 and am having a hard time deciding between the following options and would like your opinions..

1) Winchester 70 supergrade - I know it may need work but I love the model 70.

2) Mauser (vz24?)action - ground and tuned, accurate innovations stock, new barrel, 3 pos safety

3) CZ 550

4) Savage non accutrigger (gun list at $297), new trigger, tuned and squared, accurate innovations stock

Gun will be blued, Fleur de list checkered, jeweled bolt and bolt handle.

One last question is there an advantage to a straight stock over a raised cheek piece. I love my mod 70 featherweight stock but am open to new suggestions. I have shoot straight stocked guns but was wondering if there is an advantage.

Thanks, John

Posts: 549 | Location: Denial | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Go with the M-70. It's a fine action and a fine rifle and it's a better choice than a VZ-24.....Savage?...what's that?...are they still in business???

Stock design is purely a matter of personal preference. I like the classic shadowline cheekpiece but also like the simplicity of my M-70 featherweight as well..... Build the gun to YOUR tastes.....not to the likes and whims of what someone else thinks is stylish.

Savage?????

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I must agree with Vapodog as far as appearance is concerned. The M70 makes up into a more handsome custom job. However, almost all current-day bolt-action rifles are "improvements" on the basic M98 Mauser design. And almost everything that has been done since 1898 to "improve" Paul Mauser's basic 1898 design has been a step backwards.

The only exceptions to this observation may be altered bolt handles and safeties made to operate under low scopes.

posted Hide Post
The new Savage rifles have some of the most accurate barrels for out of the box. Some cool and functional bedding from the factory on some models too. Funny how many guys buy Rem 700s new, then pay somebody to slap on a custom barrel to get them to shoot acuurately. New Savages are VERY accurate. Have been for a few years now. Another fine aspect of of the Savage 110 action is that barrel swaping is very easy. I have done this my self with great success with a shot out 7mm rem mag barrel. The new Accutrigger is debate-able, but it works, is fully adjustable, takes some getting used to, and safe. I like it. However, many Savage stocks suck. But some of them don't. I have two Savages. Like them a lot. Cheaper than some others too.

Clayman204

one of us
posted Hide Post
The M70 is a classic and I love them, I'd probably take the chance that it's a shooter and buy it. Most of the ones I've had and still have shoot really well, so I'm at least fairly confident in them.
The Mauser sounds good, but would be my last choice. Too heavy and clunky. I like the newer refined Mauser designs, such as the M70.
The CZ seems heavy to me, but the shoot like a house afire. I like everything about them, except the pistol grip on the stock is a little wierd, a little too open, making for a clubby feel, IMHO. But, there's no discounting the way they shoot.
The Savage is a utilitarian rifle in my mind. I've seen some of the new super grade, or whatever they call the gussied up ones and they look good. But, the average Savage will probably outshoot the average "anything else". They sure have some good barrels. Everyone seems to have jumped on the Savage bandwagon lately and that's a good thing, but I've had two out of four of the new 12BVS rifles that didn't shoot all that well. One single shot was really not a good shooter at all. Everyone makes a lemon now and then, and I only point this out to illustrate that even Savage misses the mark once in a while.
So I'd go with what turns your crank, and take the chance it's a winner. I have a Featherweight M70 in 7mm-08 that is one of my all time favorite rifles. It is smooth, accurate and I hope to be using it for a long time to come.
Good luck.