THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Anyone in here had experience with ionbond or Diamond Like Carbon on 1911s or......

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone in here had experience with ionbond or Diamond Like Carbon on 1911s or......
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
....I'm thinking about having it done on one and, since it is the most expensive process, AFAIK, am soliciting opinions, good, bad, or indifferent? TIA

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never heard of it, but sounds interesting. Staying tuned.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
www.ionbond.com
www.1911forum.com seems to have mixed response .

I always suspect coatings .They can wear or scratch .Also makes a difference who applies it .Even hard chrome has it's problems .
Ever hear of a thing called 'stainless steel ??
wave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had 2 1911 stainless slides coated in Inbound. They came out great and still look good. The secret is to rub them with a light coat of oil. When dry, they are a dull black but with a light sheen of oil they are a nice gloss black. I do the slides only because I like the two tone look.

US Navy RETIRED
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 526 | Location: Seattle | Registered: 17 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
I have TiAlN coating on my STI 2011 based pistol. It is the same PVD coating used for some cutting tools. It will not scratch and it is nice. Yes, it is expensive, but . . .

Jiri

Before:

After:

Posts: 2111 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never heard of it altho it does look interesting. I had my 1911 electroless nickel plated 1976, carried it over 20 years and it still looks good with no real wear. The slide was done by Robar in Phoenix same thing no real wear. But it was not cheep then either.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1511 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that Kahr Arms uses DLC to blacken stainless steel slides on their pistols .I couldn't find an exact name for their coating but the description is the same.