New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock offered on Remington Titanuim?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I heard somewhere that this rifle comes from the factory with a Bell & Carlson stock but was unable to find one similar on thier site.

What stock is it? I liked the way it handled when I played with one in a shop and now that I am trying to put together a lightwieght handy rifle based on a Seven action in .300SAUM (they won't have the Titanuim in .300SAUM here for another few years)

Only thing is that I don't really like the "chuny" feel of the Seven Laminated stocks I have handled and although the synthetic looks a little slimmer I have not been able to get my hands on one.

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
EXPRESS

I believe the closest thing you will find is a Hi-Tec . It has that long narrow wrist and high comb, I don�t think the forearm is as thin though. I have their �Sheep Hunter� on one rifle and its pretty close to the TI.

It also seems that I read some were that McMillan originally made the stock. Might try them.

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks bluetick, what can you tell me about these stocks? How would they comapare to the McMillans?
They certainly do seem to cost less, and thier site isn't anywhere near as fancy...

I just wrote to McMillan asking about their Hunters Edge which weighs just over what the HiTec stock does, how will it compare for stiffness and ruggedness?

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
EXPRESS

I like them a lot. Be warned they are not a drop in stock. They are finished very well but you will have to do a little cutting and fitting, then glass bed. The out side will also need a little bondo or epoxy to fill small pin holes and the like. They are miles ahead of a MPI though.
I believe the McMillan is very close to a drop-in. Maybe someone else can comment to what degree a McMillan is finished. I have only seen them finished.
I don�t know if you noticed the price if Hi-Tec finishes it. But that is more than your standard McMillan is.

As far as stiffness goes they are as good as any I have seen in that weight range except maybe one from Melvin Forbes. I have no idea what he gets for one. I have only seen one or two NULA rifles. Those stocks are stiff but part of it is do to them being a little thicker or larger in diameter in the forearm.

One more thing to keep in mind is the weight given by Hi-Tec is for an unfinished stock. Add some paint, Acra Glass Gel and a recoil pad and the ounces start adding up. I still think there the best thing going for the money. I�m sure the lightest thing for the money also.

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote