Find
Notify
Tools

What can I do with a Marlin 336?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
As I moved my wife's Marlin 336 out of the way for the 50th time I started wondering what we could do with it.

The rifle was her dad's so it will stay but it is in 35 Remington. While fun to shoot cans with and shorter range deer not something we would use here in Colorado.

I have no experience with the 336. Is it something that could be rebarreled easy enough?? Or maybe a rechamber to something else???

Or is it simply something that will be left gathering dust in our safe until she passes it on to her son who will probably not use it either.

Thoughts?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Marlin levers in 35Rem are "iconic" rifles. I'd leave it alone, even if it isn't well suited for long range Colorado situations.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would give up my 700/.30-06 before I'd give up my 336/.35.

There's little to be gained by rechambering or rebarreling a classic lever gun.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
35 Remington is a fine round and makes this Marlin measureably more valuable than if it was a 30/30. Let the family cherish the memories------after all, that all we've got!

Posts: 249 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would use it. Buffalo bore 220 gr. JSN at 2200 fps would be a good dark timber elk load. The Hornady Leverevolution should be a fine deer load out to 300 yards. But thats just me, I like to use all my guns so I plan hunts so I can.

Posts: 304 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 12 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hell, if archery hunters can stalk to within 25 yds of elk in Colorado, you should be able to get within 100 don't ya think? Use it as a kind of retro rifle to cherish the bygone days. Challenge your hunting skills.

Posts: 3776 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
I just picked one up in really nice condition. That 35 rem is a sweetheart to shoot. Very accurate with open sights.

Great guns. Mine is early 50's

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2597 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Sell it to me. Big Grin

Clean it up and leave it be.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
If you are set on changing there is a place that converts them to 358 Win but I don't remember who it is

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10133 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Guess it will stay a 35Rem and hold its place in the back of the safe. Like I said it is my wife's rifle. It was her dad's but back then he wouldn't take her hunting or shooting. Saying GIRLS just didn't do that. So other than being her dad's no real memories with it.

She will NEVER use it as is hunting. Maybe back in Texas on a doe or hog. But when she climbs a mtn elk hunting she will simply grab her 7x57.

Me I have too many rifles of my own that I would grab before I would even think about this one. It has no history with me.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Hornady's Leverevolution ammo ain't bad:

Test Barrel (24") Velocity (fps) / Energy (ft-lbs)
Muzzle 100 200 300
2225/2198 1963/1711 1721/1315 1503/1003
Trajectory (inches)
Muzzle 100 200 300
-1.70 3.00 -1.30 -17.50

Me, I'd load up some good hardcast bullets and shoot the heck outta varmints and tin cans with it.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd load up some good hardcast bullets and shoot the heck outta varmints and tin cans with it.

Sounds like the perfect plan to me. tu2

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
180gr CEB Raptor!??

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:
I'd load up some good hardcast bullets and shoot the heck outta varmints and tin cans with it.

I loaded 8.5gr Red Dot behind 158gr lead SWC 38cal pistol bullets for my Remington 14 in 35 Rem.
I had scads of bullets and didn't shoot pistol very much anymore. Put them to good use and was a pleasent, fun, accurate at 50m load.
They fed fine in the 14. I've never tried them in a L/A though.
Crimp them good!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one and LOVE it. rem 200 gr rn over 37 gr of H335 in rem brass, shoots like factory ammo, as accurate as a bolt action.

I would never chsnge a thing on mine.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:

Yeah, I recently acquired a first year 760 with a nice Lyman sight for a hair over $100. Once I ran a patch through the bore and removed 50 years of dustbunnies and dried gun oil, the bore looked brand new. I plan on making some plinkingloads soon. Seems logical since I don't often hunt brush much anymore.

Mine does like the Hornady 200 gr RN's.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Factory 35 Rem's are loaded to around 1950 fps.
A case full of 3031 is around 40 gr. With just
a tad of compression it will get you 2350 fps.
That makes it into a real shooter. If you
gan get within 200 yds is will do fine.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the same rifle. I pulled the barrel and rechambered it to 356 Win. Don't know if I get any better performance than the Rem version, but it shoots the 200gr FlexTip bullets extremely well, and might just get a trip to the deer woods in a couple weeks.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1182 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
Paul, one of my Gun Safe Queens is a Mod 94, 30-30, that my wife got from her Dad. He got it in a trade for a Model T Ford back in the '50s in Minnesota.

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote