New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bedding problem
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
pillar bedded my rifle (rem 700 BDL) 204, free floated the barrel like it said also bedded the recoil lug,after the bedding it was shooting lousy so i folded up a small piece of card board put it under the forarm, (about an inch from the end)now it will shoot 1/2 to 3/4 inch groups .Should i bed the tip or shim it, what should i use to shim it (the thickness of the card board was .043).
or is there something else i can do.

thanks

Posts: 76 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve always found that it’s a good idea to work through a process of elimination before doing anything drastic.

Is your barrel truly “free-floated?†Can you run a 3x5 card the entire length between the barrel and the stock?

Did you properly torque the action screws?

Are your pillars trimmed to the proper length?

Is the the recoil lug seating properly, or is it touching on the sides, front or bottom?

Not to say that any of these are a factor...but IMO you should rule them out before proceeding with any “fix.â€

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yes to the first three question
the lug is bedded on all sides

Posts: 76 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by willow:
yes to the first three question
the lug is bedded on all sides

Personally, I don’t let the front,sides and bottom of the lug touch the bedding, that’s just the way I was taught to do it.

The vast majority of rifles will shoot better and more consistently with the barrel free floated...but you could have one of the ones that likes some barrel contact with the stock.

If you are getting consistent groups of the size you mentioned after inserting the shim I would certainly say that you are moving in the right direction with what you are doing.

Finding the “sweet spot†in the channel and the amount of upward pressure just takes time and a bit of patients, but it sounds like you’re pretty damned close with what you did.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote