New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bore cleaning agents
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What do you recommend to clean a rifle bore squeaky clean - get all copper and carbon out?
Thanks

Posts: 10379 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take your pick. Wipe-out...Shooters Choice, Sweets, Montana Extreme, Kroil/JB bore paste, Carb cleaner, AFT... and just about any and all combinations of these...the choice is almost endless and each product has it’s fans and detractors that will tell you that their choice is the only one that works! Smiler

I would suggest you try a few and see which one does what you expect it to do.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JMJ888
posted Hide Post
It really depends on how dirty the barrel is to start with. For everyday cleaning at the range I would go with any of the major solvents like Shooters Choice, Butch's bore shine, or something like that. If it has heavy copper fouling maybe some Sweets 7.62 or CR-10 and let it sit in the bore for a few minutes. If it is heavy crud, or I really want to scrub the throat I would hit it with some JB bore scrub and a lot of elbow grease. That should do the trick.

Posts: 436 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
WipeOut

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
I use homemade Sweets followed by Ed's Red to good effect.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Maybe pictures will help...

1) Fill the bore and let soak according to directions ( i let it soak overnight)

2) This is what you see the next morning...

3) The first patch through the bore looks like this...

4) This shows the puddle of copper that dripped out of the barrel and what the fist patch pushed through the bore.

5) This shows the second patch through the bore.

That's why the guys that use Wipe Out reccomend it so much to the guys that don't.

One soaking, one patch, no brushes and the copper is gone.

PS - no ammonia.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
One soaking, one patch, no brushes and the copper is gone.

PS - no ammonia

And no strong odor either........... beer Great pics new_guy

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just for some info. I usually use sweets and/or butches boreshine. One day I got a wild hair and bought one of those outers electronic bore cleaning rigs. I tried it on a dozen or so rifles and never did get much out of it. Seems that when you do a decent job of cleaning the electronics are about worthless.

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty much like I told you...ask 50 guys this question and you’ll get 49 different answers and one “clean my rifle?...I don’t bother with that sissy stuff!†Smiler

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all of you.
I will try several of these and see what works.

Posts: 10379 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote