THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    my Rem 700 leaves cases in the chamber after I shoot...
Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

my Rem 700 leaves cases in the chamber after I shoot...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And if anyone would know anything about "jury-rigging", it would be a former movie stuntman... Smiler

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
malm, not to change the subject but were you once "diveboss" here? I found an old exchange from 2003 the other day and "diveboss" has your name...

Another vote for no SAKO extractor. I would not throw away a rifle that had one but I would rather replace the bolt body. In addition to the afore mentionted issues, the ejection is in the wrong plane. You might be bouncing brass off the bottom of your scope. Not big thing but when you add up the several little things it becomes less attractive to me.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just for your information Pacific Tool & Guage is making the aftermarket Remington 700 bolt bodies with the Sako style extractor. There is scuttle butt that all the new Remington 700's in the future will all have Sako style extractors.
Jim Kolb you are right about the catastrophic event but the two that have been recorded were caused by shooter error. One was a case of the wrong powder being used and the other was a wrong caliber being put into a rifle. I beleive it was a .308 being put into a 7mm-08 and fired. The second was not just the Sako Extractor being a problem but the entire bolt lugs were sheared. The shooter and a bystander were hurt. Remington, and Savage have had a lot of problems from the new short magnums. The photos shown above look to me to have a broken bolt front end. I would recomend they be examined by Remington at the factory or a qualified Remington authorized gunsmith. This will require more than just an extractor replacement. The entire bolt will have to be replaced.
Longshot (licensed gunsmith)

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by malm:
And if anyone would know anything about "jury-rigging", it would be a former movie stuntman... Smiler

Actually, the term that first came to mind was a bit different but since it has racial overtones I decided not to use it. Smiler

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick 0311:
Actually, the term that first came to mind was a bit different but since it has racial overtones I decided not to use it. Smiler

Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like it or not (and that’s up to each person to decide) the Remington spring-clip extractor was invented/designed to allow for the bolt nose to completely surround the case head with the first of the “three rings of steel.â€

Alter that, and you have also altered a major safety aspect of the design...and in todays litigious society that is not something to be taken lightly, in my opinion.

You and your customer may have an agreement about this...but what about the guys on either side of him at the range? If (and yes it’s a big if) that sucker blew up and one of them ended up with a Sako extractor for a “hood“ ornament?

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone can sue anybody for anything. But to win, they would have to jump through some pretty big hoops. This conversion is a well documented and acceptable conversion, that is accepted industry wide. Of course shit can happen. It can happen to stock stuff as fast as modified stuff. If we lived our lives worried about every possible thing that could go wrong, no one would leave for work in the mornings.

It would appear that some folks are not quite as frightened about "ring of steel" failures as others, since manufacturers are now beginning to offer aftermarket bolts for 700's set up for the Sako extractor. A negative argument can be made about anything. And so it goes...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, if I were to get one of the already machined bolt bodies and the headspace were not right, I would either have to have the reamer used(highly doubt he has ANY cal RUM layin around), or have the barrel cut to take up the slack in the opposite direction. Then, I would have to pay the guy to whack off the iron cause you know the iron would be canted. So, pretty much I would have to pay for one thing or another. Probably cheaper to have him cut the original bolt.

But hey, knowing that Midway has those already machined is pretty cool. I could always get a true straight bolt handle and get it engraved nice. Now I am gonna go look it up.

Wholly crappy, almost $180!

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote