Find
Notify
Tools

Refurbishing 1909 Argentine Bottom Metal
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Friends-

Which gunsmiths are really, really good at refurbishing 1909 Argentine bottom metal?

Tasks would include:
#1. Fit new straddle floorplate,
#2. Solder knurled button to release lever,
#3. Reshape/recontour trigger guard and,
#4. Stone and polish as needed.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am sure there are many. I can think of three that I have seen photos of their work or have seen the actual work.

1. Thomas Burgess.
2. Mark Stratton
3. Jim Dubell

As for the straddle floorplate, I have purchased a number of them from Jim Wisner. They are not a slip on fit however. They are left long so that you can get a perfect fit by using small files and stones.

Many of the originial releases on those 1909s have gaps between them and the trigger guard so they just don't look right. In my mind its much better to have the Smith doing the work use mild steel just a hair wider than the one you take out and make a new one with an integral button rather than welding on a button.
I think Wisner at one time made some oversize releases with buttons as well, but I have never purchased one from him.

As far as reshaping goes, Mr. Stratton has a nice little article about it in his book if you have his book. Otherise, basically what you need to do is thin down the width of the rear portion just a hair, and then file to a more rounded shape until you get to the front portion where the release is. If you look closely at a Blackburn guard and follow the way he shapes and files the rear of his guards you will be well on your way to doing a great job on your 1909 guard.

I too have a few that I need done.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dang 22wrf. So your the guy hording all the parts! Big Grin

Do you have any FN low swing safety levers?

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
I think I could manage the work.

Contour bow and make checkered release $85

Fit new customer supplied Wisner floorplate and drill hinge pin hole $50

Extend front of mag box 1/16" $50

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1852 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker:
I think I could manage the work.

Yeah...it looks like you could. That is damn nice work!

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, now I have seen 4 that do an outstanding job. Im with Forrest, Nice Work gunmaker. Damn nice work!

GSP7

yea, I have one FN Shroud and safety. $85 shipped.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gunmaker
Sweet!! You can bet I saved those photos so I will know how it is supposed to be done, as opposed to how mine will probably look Eeker

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Yes 22,
You should jump on Jims offer. It's a good price and I know his work, always finshed always right, no BS that needs rework. Very nice
and precise.
Stuart

Posts: 1214 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

yea, I have one FN Shroud and safety. $85 shipped.

Yikes Eeker are those 14k solid gold ones? Dont need shrouds, just looking for fn levers cheap. I'll keep buying the ones at sporter express for about $3.95 thanks anyway!

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GSP

They are $14.99 and are not the same thing. Not even close. Mine is the genuine FN safety with a genuine FN shroud.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep , they are $14.99 now, used to be cheaper. I have plenty of genuine FN shrouds with the notch. I have several Huskys that you could get with the low fn or standard mil saftey. 3 have the low and 3 dont, but are notched for it.

Not even close? Close enough!

Just always keepin an eye out for extra geniune fn levers. To me they arent worth more than $15. If I wanted to spend $85 id get a PMS safety installed or a m70 type safety. Thanks anyway

Rick

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do the safeties from Sporter Express lock the bolt down when on safe?

Posts: 40 | Location: northern NY | Registered: 13 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GSP

my point was that I doubt anyone would sell the lever without the shroud if they had both, which is why they are very scarce, which is why they are $85.00 for the pair.

If you find a place that sells the genuine FN shrouds for $15.00 apiece let me know becasue I would like to buy a few of them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
22wrf , I thought you might have had a stash of about 100 fn levers for $.99 each! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

There was 2 complete very 1909 argies mil rifles, in white recievers, at the local shop for $199. I should have bought them after learnin' what the parts are goin' for! I passed cause the bolt faces weren't prestine. Eeker Know I find out the bottom metal alone is worth $175!

JZ Yes that 2 position safety locks the bolt shut

Rick

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rick

Posts: 40 | Location: northern NY | Registered: 13 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSP7:
22wrf , I thought you might have had a stash of about 100 fn levers for $.99 each! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

There was 2 complete very 1909 argies mil rifles, in white recievers, at the local shop for $199. I should have bought them after learnin' what the parts are goin' for! I passed cause the bolt faces weren't prestine. Eeker Know I find out the bottom metal alone is worth $175!

JZ Yes that 2 position safety locks the bolt shut

Rick

Was that $199 for both or $199 for one.