New
Find
Notify
Tools

308 palma
 Login/Join

<Joe McGill>
posted
Has anyone had any problems with blown primers with 168 gr nosler slug in new fed brass and Bal c2 powder 2.5 gr under noslers published max loads? Thanks for takeing the time to read. Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
No... But had this happen with a couple of factory 168 grain match .308 loads a few years ago.

I haven't tried your powder/bullet combination. Have never worked with Bal C2 powder. Was it a hot day at the range? Many rounds fired in a short time? Is the rifle throated for the 168? All the Palma shooters I've run across use the 155 Sierra or 155 Nosler match bullets.

Am always curious about things like this, because I want to avoid them as well! Someone told me that Federal brass was "softer" than others and that the primer holes wouldn't hold up as well, but I haven't seen any problems with mine. I generally load Federal brass for my .308 target gun. Regards & good luck, Guy

Posts: 327 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
<Joe McGill>
posted
M700 Thanks for the reply. The temperature was in the low 70's and the barrel was cool. The only thing that I know for a fact is the throat is short for what I shoot in a 30-06 bull bbl Springfield. My comparison is with a Rugar 308 which has .100 more throat than the JGS Palma chamber. I have loaded .005 and .015 back from the lands and blown primers at both positions. Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
Short throats mean higher pressures. Back off some more on the powder.

What brand brass, how many firings? Does the primer blow on the first firing?

A large chamber (meaning diameter at the rear of the chamber) can lead to blown primers, usually takes a couple of firings to show up. Do you know the chamber dimensions? Handy is the drawing the reamer was made from, it tells me a lot. Brass from different manufacturers has different dimensions, so in a match rifle I taylor the reamer dimensions to the brass the shooter will use.

Try Lapua brass, it generally is stronger at the head than other brands.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Joe McGill>
posted
John Ricks I can E mail you with the dimentions and facts to keep from tying up the board. Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Palma chamber is throated very short and this may have something to do with your high pressures. You may also have a fast lot of Blc2.
I had one rifle which I had chambered with a Palma reamer. In it Lake City match was way hot so I lengthened the throat by .100". It then worked fine with the LC and also shot better with the Palma bullet. Go figure. Just goes to show that each barrel is different. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3765 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote