THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rebore vs. Rebarrel, How does accuracy compare?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In general how does the accuracy potential of a barrel rebored by a top reborer compare with a new barrel from Shilen, Douglas, Walther, etc.?

Can they be as good or better?

Thanks, Rob

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i sent a model 98 military rifle to Clif Labounty and hasd him re-bore it to 9.3. i also had a model 70 which was originally re-barrelled by Dennis Olson using a 26" Pac-Nor barrel. the model 98 has a receiver sight and the model 70 has a scope. the model 70 shoots smaller groups, but not a whole lot smaller. i suspect the difference is the sights, not the finished product or how it got there. i am old enough that receiver sights are a bit of a labor to use. both of these rifles shoot really well.

if you have the time, letting Clif Labounty re-bore your rifle is always a good idea. but there is probably gonna be a wait. mine was with him for almost a year. the model 70 was done and returned within a month.

Clif Labounty does a lot of work because he is an excellent craftsman. if you have the time, use him. costwise.....re-boring was a about $150 cheaper (~$250 vs. ~$400)

Posts: 466 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I had Cliff take a BLR 30-06 and do it into a .35 Whelen. I had him lap the barrel when he was through reboring. I only shot it once at the range and I had a hard time getting better than 2 " @ 50yds. To be fair it was factory ammo and a quick "get it on paper" test but I hope it does better. I had never shot the gun while it was a 30-06. It did take over a year to get back and was more than $300. I hope it does better next time out.

I thought I recently read that Cliff had sold the business to someone else. Cliff was a good man to deal with though.

This experience is the reason I asked the question. I have a nice German Guld mauser with full length rib that I would like to rebore to 9.3x 62 and was wondering if my first experience was typical.

Thanks, Rob

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hmmmmmmmmm.........i had him make me a 35 Whelen also. i sent him a US Remington 1903 and he re-bored it for me. it, like the Mauser i spoke of, shoots really well and likewise has a receiver sight. certainly a 2" group at 50 yards is nothing to get really pleased with regardless of the sight you have mounted. boy, i don't know what to tell you. my experience is really good and yours seems to not be. pretty strange.

Posts: 466 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well it may be the scope, like I said I didn't get too far into it, I'll get beack to it agin this fall.

Thanks for your help.

Rob

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Recoil Rob:
Well it may be the scope, like I said I didn't get too far into it, I'll get back to it again this fall.

Thanks for your help.

Rob

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
A custom barrel job using a new, high-quality barrel should be very accurate. However, a good rebore very often produces better accuracy than the original bore did.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote